PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Member & H/3 Tire question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Default New Member & H/3 Tire question?

Hello All,
I'm a new guy here so I thought I'd jump on and say hi. I have a 2006 Adventure Package H3 that I purchased new. I just turned 60K and am on my original set of tires. Needless to say I'm in the market for new tires ASAP. Since I'm in Colorado (10,000ft.) it's already snowed once this fall and my tires won't make it through this winter.

I did a search on here and found that you guys have good things to say about the Micky Thompson and the Pro Comp tires. Does anyone know the best place to get them for the best price? I currently have Bridgstone LT285/75R/16 Dueler AT tires on it, as that's what it came with. I was thinking about maybe going to the next bigger size, Any Opinions on that?

Anyway, look forward to meeting everyone.

Stay Safe,
Brad

Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM

There's probably a hundred threads on tires here, but I have the tires you have and eventually I'm going to 315's. Based on the look and input from members on the site, I plan on getting Mickey Thompson MTZ's, but there are a lot of tires here people are happy with so keep searching. As far websites to buy them, JCwhitney.com, discounttiredirectdirect.com and performanceplustires.com have a wide selection and once you factor in shipping and any offers they have, it seems like all the sites end up having the same total for the same tire. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 PM

I have to weigh in here...and only speak from my own 1st hand experience. I'm sure that there are those who will chime in and say that I'm completely wrong, but its their nickel. There are positives and negatives to going to 315's -- I personally have had 315/75R/16 MTZ's on my truck for the last 34,000 miles (It has 36, 000mi total on it). The positives: They look asolutely awesome, they wear well on a truck that mostly gets pavement city/hwy type driving. I do take the truck off-road and they are great in mud/sand/crap...almost too good for the truck. They get such good traction that when on some steep loose terrain I've heard a clicking in the cv's....yes, the 4x4 aficionados will say that it is operator error, but this is what happend to me (again, my real world experiences). They are not directional, so you can rotate with the spare and extend the life of your tires. The negatives: It is A LOT of rubber for the H3. with a 3" Truxxx leveling kit (the necessity of which is a debate for another thread), the tires still rub against the sway bar at full turn...this is annoying and increases minimum radius of your steering. the shift points change and it always (often) seems as if the engine is prematurely downshifting...just my opinion. Yes, you can get the chip re-programed by PCM For Less, but I didn't. Lastly, I am now in an arguement with my dealership who is saying that the larger tires put undo stress on the cv's and steering rack- both of which need to be replaced to the tune of $2100. I know it is Bull$$$$ what the dealership is saying, but it doesn't change the fact that it is now my headache. Last week I downsized to 285/75r/16 MTZ and am bringing the truck into a dealership and pleading ignorance to the whole thing. In short, I miss the 315's. I wish the 315's were still on my truck. but my reality is the MTZ 285's still look very aggressive and will give me the peace of mind that there isn't a potential $2100 tab in my future that POSSIBLY could have been avoided. (For all of you who are going to jump on me about the size of the tire not affecting the cv's & rack....I KNOW) but theory and reality are two very different things.

GO WITH THE MTZ's in 285 and sleep well knowing that you've got great, aggressive tires that arent going to bite you in the *** down the road through wear-n-tear on your cv's / steering/ sway bars, etc. --- It's just my experience ---

Old 10-05-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm curious if anyone else has had similar problems going to 35's? It's good to know every possible scenario before spending so much only to have to spend even more down the road.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 07HummerH3
They get such good traction that when on some steep loose terrain I've heard a clicking in the cv's....yes, the 4x4 aficionados will say that it is operator error, but this is what happend to me (again, my real world experiences).

Lastly, I am now in an arguement with my dealership who is saying that the larger tires put undo stress on the cv's and steering rack- both of which need to be replaced to the tune of $2100. I know it is Bull$$$$ what the dealership is saying, but it doesn't change the fact that it is now my headache.
You lost me. In the first part of your reply you state the the tires are causing clicking in the CV's, then in the latter part you're arguing with the dealer who is agreeing with what you said in the first part. Care to elaborate?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Good Evening- I also live in Colorado (7500'). I also travel often over Monarch and Wolf Creek Pass in the winter. If it were me I would definitely go with the BFG All Terrain in the 295 Size. Looks good and the traction is incredible.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 PM

I also agree that the 315's look great on an H3, however unless you want the performance and acceleration of a 5cyl. that feels like a 4cyl. your better off with the 285's.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3
You lost me. In the first part of your reply you state the the tires are causing clicking in the CV's, then in the latter part you're arguing with the dealer who is agreeing with what you said in the first part. Care to elaborate?
Not sure where the clarification is needed. The service manager said that the combination of the Truxxx and the 315's are what caused the premature CV wear due to undue stress caused by the larger tires and aggressive angle of the front axels from the leveling kit - he told me to put the truck back to "stock" and bring it back in and he'd see what he could do (I purchased new 285's and removed the Truxxx)....In short the dealership is saying that the modifications that I made caused the failure of the cv's/ steering rack and therefore are not covered under warranty- the srvc manager is trying to work with me and said that If I return the vehicle to the way it was originally, he'll see what he can do to get the work covered. Clear now?

Last edited by 07HummerH3; 10-05-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 07HummerH3
Clear now?
No not really. Again, first you say the larger tires are hard on the CV's, then you say the dealer is wrong by saying larger tires are hard on the CV's. It's a moot point though. Hope you get your truck fixed.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

I went with Mickey Thompson MTZs in the 305 size, still 33", but an inch wider than the 285s.

I have burned through many sets of BFGs All Terrain T/As on prior trucks, while they are a better street tire than the MTZ (just barely) they suck wind in every other catagory. BFG are also no longer an American company! Mickey Thompsons are made in OH.

What really made me switch, the BFGs are the same old tread and tech design I had on my trucks in the early 80s! I thought they were great then, but no I know better.

Quick Reply: New Member & H/3 Tire question?