PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New H3 Owner! Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Default New H3 Owner! Couple Questions

Just recently purchased a 06 Hummer H3! Love it so far. but I have a couple questions. Ive already done some stuff like driveline fluids, powder coated stock wheels, tint, debadged, daystar upper dash panel and added a aux port. and its a 06 Adventure pack, monsoon, 5 speed, 57,000 miles and its the steel gray/blue color! im going to try and post pictures asap.

But im going to level my front end to about 23.75 and put the 0-2in lift rancho schocks in the front and stock length ranchos in the rear! Truck doesn't see much off roading here in Wisconsin, no local trails so just some muddy fields. but my question comes to tires! truck kind of feels a little sluggish as is now with 285s im wondering how much of a toll its going to take if I go to 315s. I know its not a race car by any means but im just woundring on your guys experinces and eventually its gonna get a 1in body lift and a Volant cold air intake because that's the only one I can find that comes off the throttle body not the big plastic piece.

Also, I like keeping parameters on my h3 and I don't like that it doesn't have oil pressure and volts... I was wondering if any one has installed aftermarket gauges to keep a eye on all that. I know theirs dummy lights but I would like to be able to see a gauge. So if theirs any aftermarkets mounts for h3s that aren't universal. don't matter really where they go as long as it looks clean and oe to a point.

and are front hub bearings a common problem? I bought the h3 with 50k and by 56k I had to do both front hubs already. I didn't let them get loose they were just starting to make noise.

Thanks you guys! learned a lot off these forums already just be reading!!!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 PM

And when I get new tires im thinking of either Nitto Terra Grappler or Hankook Dynapro ATM. Nothing to extreme.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM

you'll take a hit with 315's, I have them and it's not bad, it still feels stronger than my dodge nitro 4x4 with a v6. The only time I really notice it feeling weak is on steep hills, although not really many around here in Illinois, and when I have 3 passengers in it. I don't think it's even that bad getting onto the interstate.

Also, thanks for the question about the volt meeter, I've been meaning to search through posts to find something but never remember to when I'm on here. I'm looking at getting one to hook to my yellow top for when I'm listening to the radio or watching a movie, usually after a hockey game waiting in the parking garage for traffic to ease up, or at a drive in theater.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 PM

too bad there is no way to show oil pressure but volts is ez. lots of meters around.
I don't promote the scan gage much since the main event; mpg is a pia to keep accurate but It can be 4 gauges at once including volts. somewhere it shows how to mount on the dash, where o where?
it plugs into obd2 and can read codes too.
I just might dig mine out again!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Okay thank you for your input! I think I might try and find a half tread set on craigslist and see because I do a lot of driving a week. And have you found any kinda pods for gauges? I don't even care if it's the typical one on the pillar.

One more addition question. What are some good sites for hummer parts? The only one I really know of besides the typical eBay and Amazon is trailduty.com and Thor! Any others you guys would suggest. Down the road I'm planning on a roof rack and bumpers and etc....

Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM

And I know a couple of my buddies have duramax diesels and they have a edge insight box I believe and it plugs into obd2 port and reads tons of parameters but haven't gotten around to trying one of theirs out because I dont wanna risk $400 on it not working ha

Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 AM

hummerpartsclub.com has a lot of things.

I haven't really looked into the gauges but I do want an A-pillar pod for te gauges.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 AM
rsc

315's make your truck feel like you have a 20 mph headwind all the time.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 PM

A ScanGauge II may be the easiest way to look at just about any of your engine's parameters. With a little work I was able to see transmission temp, oil life, and a bunch of other things I don't really care about.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM

For your tire dilemma, check out 305's. The wider tread width that you are seeking without the added rolling diameter. They fill out the trackwidth of the H3 nicely. Perfect compromise imho.

As far as tire brand, I've run the Terra's before and had excellent results with them, but I'm currently running General Grabber aT2's in the 305 size, D rated. Like them better than the Terra's for winter driving and they are around the same price, maybe even a tad less expensive.

Here's the Grabbers in 305:

Name:  d8e688b8-07db-4610-b27f-a266bddc9b56_zps807e7c47.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  90.9 KB

Last edited by Xlr8n; 02-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New H3 Owner! Couple Questions