PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New to the H3 family

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Default New to the H3 family

Well, I finally found an H3 that I liked and brought her home last week. Its a 2008 with all the standard features but also the locking rear diff, sunroof, monsoon system, 6 disk changer, power seat, and tow package. Not really sure if these were options the previous owner ordered or if its the Adv or Lux package. The only thing I didnt like is the chrome grill, but that will be color matched soon enough. Im still on the fence about sizing up to 35's and how it'll effect my mpg. My stipulation was to get at least 15 and so far im averaging 17.1. Not too shabby.

Anyways, here are some pictures. Nothing special, but posts are always better with pics.

Name:  0b668270.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  65.5 KB

My Audi A4 that I sold to make way for the H3:
Name:  ef1988d1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  73.6 KB

And my old Dakota 4x4 that I sold a few months ago. I had this truck for 8 years and I just had to let her go. I still miss it.
Name:  Reker3.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  71.4 KB

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Welcome! What state are you in?

I would suggest going with a 305/70R16 (33x12.5x16) instead of the 315/75R16 (35/12.5R16). This will maintain your mileage somewhat and give you the 12.5" wide agressive tire look. Kind of like the look on your Dakota. Doc Olds on here has them and they look and perform very well, almost as good as the 315s.

My 315s on the right / Docs 305s on the left:
Name:  DSCN0361.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  84.9 KB

Name:  CBphoto_20110403_273.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  123.0 KB

Last edited by TAINTER; 04-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

i got 19.99 with 265's
my new 10 with 285's 18 on a good day,16 usual.
trade for 265??

Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Welcome to the forum..............First thing you might want to check, is your drainage from the roof. If the drain holes are clogged, you will get an interior full of water after any good rain.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Welcome! What state are you in?

I would suggest going with a 305/70R16 (33x12.5x16) instead of the 315/75R16 (35/12.5R16). This will maintain your mileage somewhat and give you the 12.5" wide agressive tire look. Kind of like the look on your Dakota. Doc Olds on here has them and they look and perform very well, almost as good as the 315s.
Im in Virginia.
I think im going to heed your advice and go for 33's when I decide on some wheels.

Originally Posted by drtom
i got 19.99 with 265's
my new 10 with 285's 18 on a good day,16 usual.
trade for 265??
Who, me?

Originally Posted by jewjenk
Welcome to the forum..............First thing you might want to check, is your drainage from the roof. If the drain holes are clogged, you will get an interior full of water after any good rain.
Thanks. Planned on doing that tonight. Anything else?

One thing that surprised me was how "peppy" the I5 is. I wasnt expecting much (coming from a V8 and a Turbo 4cyl), but for the size and weight and the AWD of the H3 it doesnt move as bad as I thought. I might nickname it the Elephant.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM

I bought a 2007 model this week. What is this about checking drains? Please tell me what and where to check.

daveboy

Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by REKER
Well, I finally found an H3 that I liked and brought her home last week. Its a 2008 with all the standard features but also the locking rear diff, sunroof, monsoon system, 6 disk changer, power seat, and tow package. Not really sure if these were options the previous owner ordered or if its the Adv or Lux package. The only thing I didnt like is the chrome grill, but that will be color matched soon enough. Im still on the fence about sizing up to 35's and how it'll effect my mpg. My stipulation was to get at least 15 and so far im averaging 17.1. Not too shabby.
Leather? If so, I'd assume Lux+Adventure. If cloth, I'd assume Adventure + options (same as mine).

I'd stick with 305's if you are concerned with mpg, plus from what I've read you lose power.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

What is this about checking drains? Please tell me what and where to check.
if you have a "skylight" they all have to leak a bit when closed so at each corner you can see a hole where water runs out,down a tube,behind the front wheels,in front of the rear.
you can pour a cup of water in each to verify operation,and see where it runs out. good to do.
out of my unending curiosity i did that ok.
i also pushed a flexible weed whacker cord in the front just to see it slide right thru,,,wrong!! it dead ends apx 30 inches in so im more curious why the put an elbow? in there. its something we should know about,,,huh?
i thought someone did this or replaced their tubing and id like to know about it.
mine are clean and i am careful in the use. i dont know how they get plugged and i would be carefull with compressed air,,,could blow the tube off.then its headliner time,oh no!
someone will know more,,,i hope!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 AM

level it and go with the 315. I have the Lux+Adventure and lost just under 2 MPG. I get aroung 315 miles per tank now; no big deal. 315 really make the H 3 stand out.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Tainter, what tires are those any ways? I like the ***** and sipes. There are so many new offroad tires now days and most are getting around 50k on them. Ive had BFG MT's and AT's and when I sold the truck I had just put on the new Kumho MT's.

Originally Posted by skeptic
Leather? If so, I'd assume Lux+Adventure. If cloth, I'd assume Adventure + options (same as mine).

I'd stick with 305's if you are concerned with mpg, plus from what I've read you lose power.
Nope, not leather. So adventure ya think?
Im not too concerned with mpg, but want at the least 15 mpg. People keep asking why I went and got rid of a semi-gas sipper for a gas guzzler. haha.

Originally Posted by drtom
if you have a "skylight" they all have to leak a bit when closed so at each corner you can see a hole where water runs out,down a tube,behind the front wheels,in front of the rear.
you can pour a cup of water in each to verify operation,and see where it runs out. good to do.
out of my unending curiosity i did that ok.
i also pushed a flexible weed whacker cord in the front just to see it slide right thru,,,wrong!! it dead ends apx 30 inches in so im more curious why the put an elbow? in there. its something we should know about,,,huh?
i thought someone did this or replaced their tubing and id like to know about it.
mine are clean and i am careful in the use. i dont know how they get plugged and i would be carefull with compressed air,,,could blow the tube off.then its headliner time,oh no!
someone will know more,,,i hope!
Good info. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bearcsa
level it and go with the 315. I have the Lux+Adventure and lost just under 2 MPG. I get aroung 315 miles per tank now; no big deal. 315 really make the H 3 stand out.
Yeah I read where people adjusted their torsion bars to level the front. My only concern with that is abnormal wear on the front suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc).

Quick Reply: New to the H3 family