PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

"New" H2 or step up to the H1 ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Default "New" H2 or step up to the H1 ???

Everyone please weigh in on this one...my 06 Hummer H2 has 143k miles on it and needs some rework/upgrades. It has been an awesome truck for 7 years with only two water pumps and a steering arm for mechanical repairs other than regular maintenance. My question is this....option 1) spend the dollars to refresh my current H2, option 2) purchase a "new" H2 with less mileage OR option 3) put on my big boy pants and purchase an H1...H2 is my daily driver and I do some heavy trailering with occasional wheeling in Death Valley or Vegas. The Hummer has been the best truck I have ever owned so there are no other options. What do you think???

Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 AM

if I could afford an H1 id go that direction!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

For a DD with lots of towing I would suggest staying with an H2. H1s tend to run a little warm and towing makes that worse. Operating in the desert will make it even worse. I love my H1s and they are great at certain things but towing in the desert isn't one of them.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:13 PM

The H2 is borderline too wide for a DD and has more than 4 seats. Driving is ok, but parking.... Well, you DD an H2 so you already know. I'd love an H1 for a weekend toy, but I'd hate one for a DD. Different people in different situations makes for different "best" vehicles, but IMHO the H2 would be a much better DD and occasional tow/wheeling vehicle.

Last edited by skeptic; 01-04-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Yes, I agree with Skeptic that the H1s are a bit wide for DD duty. Duane87, thanks for the vote and I have noticed prices on some of the H1s right now are pretty damn good. 3Hummers, thanks for the insights. I test drove an H1 a long time ago but don't have any experience "living" with one. Are there any aftermarket fixes for the higher heat issue you mentioned? I like the idea of the longevity of the diesel engine in H1. With Hummers not being made any more, am I passing up an opportunity to get a good condition H1 at a good price by not buying in the next few months and going with an H2 instead?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:18 AM

Bumping this because I can...

Have you considered converting to a diesel? That should still be cheaper, depending on the model of H1 you're looking at. I think there's some conversion places in Vegas.

Depending on the amount of power, you're looking in the ballpark of $30k to $50k & up to a month of time for the work (really depends on what you want done).

I've never had issues parking the H2 in big cities (thankfully because it's so short), but I'd imagine an H1 being more of a problem. I've seen H1s parked where street parking is the only option & they really stick out or end up half way on the side walk.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 AM

If your H2 still in a good shape, so try to repair it and change some part in it! I think it will run much longer with that! Right now You do maintenance for it and You know what did you change and when . Buying somebody's 'truck is always challenge and lottery! I will never know what kind of truck You are buying! It could be very good or not so good one! But with your old Hummer H2 it's much better to stick with! As for me, repair your truck and keep use it as much as you can. I never had H1, so I cannot tell you how to maintain and use it. So your decision should be wise!

Old 02-16-2015, 04:41 AM
Default new H2

depends what you want. The H1 is the military street version. it requires a lot of work. The military hummer, which the H1 is based on, is designed for a lot of maintenance. This sounds bad, but not when you have a pool of technicians dedicated to that. The avg consumer doesn't want that so most civilian vehicles are designed for minimal maint. So, H2 with little to do but enjoy or the H1, which is more hardcore, but designed for regular work?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
For a DD with lots of towing I would suggest staying with an H2. H1s tend to run a little warm and towing makes that worse. Operating in the desert will make it even worse. I love my H1s and they are great at certain things but towing in the desert isn't one of them.

THIS! I would think if its also your DD you'd be A LOT better off in an H2! I haven't rode in but 1 H1 & there is NO Comparison in the Creature Comforts you have in an H2 & the ride was like Nite & Day when your on the Highway going 70-75 mph! If you've never driven the Upgraded H2's 08' & Up you're in for a BIG Surprise! To ME they are a BIG Improvement over the Older Models! They are No Longer slow as a Turtle & to ME the interior is superior also! Check'em out & Drive One! GL!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Default agreed

Originally Posted by collega
If your H2 still in a good shape, so try to repair it and change some part in it! I think it will run much longer with that! Right now You do maintenance for it and You know what did you change and when . Buying somebody's 'truck is always challenge and lottery! I will never know what kind of truck You are buying! It could be very good or not so good one! But with your old Hummer H2 it's much better to stick with! As for me, repair your truck and keep use it as much as you can. I never had H1, so I cannot tell you how to maintain and use it. So your decision should be wise!
agreed