PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New H2 2003 Owner: Please Help w/Wheels and Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Default New H2 2003 Owner: Please Help w/Wheels and Tire Size

New H2 2003 Owner: Please Help me w/Wheels and Tire Size
I am so excited that I finally found a nice low mileage 2003 H2 as it has been a dream of mine to own one for many years. I owned a 2008 H3 from new until 2013 when I sold here with about 140K miles on the odometer.
Now, my H2 is being shipped to me and I would like to put some nice wheels on the beast. What size tire will fit on my 2003 H2 without having to do a lift or other suspension work or tune? Can a 35" or even a 37" tire fit my stock H2?
Also, do 20" wheels make sense on this H2 as I will be driving it through Michigan winters and perhaps a little off roading if needed? Please help.
Robert

Old 02-15-2016, 08:02 PM

There's a ton of info out there on this.

They all fit 315/70r17 or 35x12.50r17 tires. All can fit 37s, but some rub (more of a "luck of the draw thing").

The 2008/2009 models had the option to go w/ 20" wheels (mine did). The stock tire size was strangely 305/60r20 (it's a rare size, I think only Toyo has a tire in it). Many people opted for 325/60r20s instead.

It depends on what you need. Michelin makes a highway tire that is a 35" for 20 inch wheels that would be pretty well in the snow. If you only want AT tires, most people here & on every forum are going to push going with 17s or 18s (usually 17s) or the 20s.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:15 AM

Thank you for the good information. The wheels are something that I have never messed with on any vehicle of mine in the past, but I want to on this H2. I am wondering how the ride quality will change with different type tires. This will be a driver for me, but I want to be able to get out of a situation should one arrive, such as snow, bad weather, light off roading, etc... I definitely don't want to get into a situation where the H2 rides poorly on a highway with all kinds of road noise and handles poorly, such as being all over the road. I would really love to find a great tire, nice tire and wheel size that looks great on the H2, and something that allows it to drive really nicely. I don't remember what I had on my H3 off hand, but I will say that it was the best driving vehicle I have ever owned...by far. after 2 1/2 years of not owning one, I missed that H3 so badly that I started looking for another one and landed on a beautiful low mileage H2 (southern find...no snow or salt!) that I couldn't pass up. I am excited beyond belief to finally land my dream truck. I just need some good guidance from all of you experts. I hope to become an expert too in the process.
What will be the handling and road feel difference between the 17" wheels and the 20" wheels?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 AM

It came with GoodYear SR-As on 20s. Three of the four tires were good, the last being extremely worn (I have no clue why that was). My suspension was also shot, so I cannot say.

I like my currentBFG KO2s. They eat up a lot of the road. If I was only driving highway, I'd move back to 20s & install the 35" Michelin tire. It'll ride better than any AT.

Just stay away from Toyo AT tires. They ride like iron, but suck offroad & make you feel every single bump in the road, no matter how low you inflate them.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 AM

Are the stock tires 35"? I know the stock rims are 17", but I can't find the actual measurement of the stock tires.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:38 AM

315/70r17 is just about equal to a 35" tire.
The inside of one of the doors should have the tire size & correct PSI labeled for the OE.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 AM

I just closed the deal on my 2003 H2 and haven't yet received it...so I am trying to gather as much information as possible. I haven't been this excited about a vehicle in a long time. I would like to get some nice wheels and new tires for my new H2, something that doesn't make me have to do a new tune for the speedo calibration. By the way, your H2 looks killer!
Mine is the same color too! I would love to have found an 08 or 09...but they are very hard to come by these days, except for A & L Imports and they are generally in the $75K or above range. I found my 2003 with just 16,000 miles, a true California vehicle. It looks like it has been in a time capsule. I'm excited beyond belief!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:22 AM

I just closed the deal on my 2003 H2 and haven't yet received it...so I am trying to gather as much information as possible. I haven't been this excited about a vehicle in a long time. I would like to get some nice wheels and new tires for my new H2, something that doesn't make me have to do a new tune for the speedo calibration. By the way, your H2 looks killer!
Mine is the same color too! I would love to have found an 08 or 09...but they are very hard to come by these days, except for A & L Imports and they are generally in the $75K or above range. I found my 2003 with just 16,000 miles, a true California vehicle. It looks like it has been in a time capsule. I'm excited beyond belief!

Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 AM

The color on mine is silver ice. It was a limited edition color for 2009, only.
I think your's would be pewter or possibly white then? I had an 03 pewter. Great truck. Only problem I ever had was a fuel pump issue around 80k miles.

16k miles is insane. That's just rare. Really take care of it. I have no clue what you paid, but that would fetch a pretty penny if you ever wanted to get rid of it (not that you should).

The KO2 in the 315/70r17 is cheaper than the 35" variant by $5 ($274): Link
Like I said, if you're all highway or if these will provide enough grip, these Michelins should ride better, even with a larger wheel (about $310):Link
That's a good option if you want to move up to 20s without really sacrificing rid equality. I have a feeling I'll end up with a set when doing a lot of traveling.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in for AT tires. I'm biased towards KO2s & BFG as a whole. There are people here running Nittos or Toyos (I'd rather buy a used set of tires, but that's me).
Another option might be the Hankook DYNAPRO AT-M in 315/70r17 for about $230 each:Link
That might be good compromise between highway & offroad for the price.
Hankook does make that tire in a 35" variant for 22" wheels (325/50r22), but that's not very much sidewall. I'd be iffy on going above a 20" wheel unless I as running at least a 37".

Just remember, adding heavier wheels & heavier tires will bog down anything, including the H2. At one point, i had 18" wheels with 35" Toyo AT2 extremes. The wheel/tire combination was about 120 lb (39ish for the wheel, 81 for the tire). My current combo is sitting right at 100 lb. moving to the Michelin will keep me at 100, but probably net me better acceleration & mpg (low rolling resistance isn't a marketing trick, it works.)

Old 02-18-2016, 01:50 PM

Synthetickiller,
Thank you so very much for the great information. You have been so very kind and forthright with lots of knowledge. My Hummer will mostly be a cruiser that I will pull out on fun occasions or super cold snowy days. I was thinking that I could have two sets of tires/wheels for this bad boy like I have for all my drivers (living here in Michigan). I have really gotten into using snow tires in the winter and maybe I could fit the OEM wheels with some snow tires (if they make them in those sizes?) and my new wheels/tires for the warmer times of the year. Does anyone out there have dedicated snow tires for their Hummer?

Quick Reply: New H2 2003 Owner: Please Help w/Wheels and Tire Size