PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New guy with horror story

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Default New guy with horror story

Hey ya'll,

My name is Jeremy and about a year ago i bought what appeared to be a supernice 2000 H1 Wagon. Since then its been costing me dearly. After the injection pump went out, they replaced that and the lift pump. When they did that it threw trash into the injectors and clogged those up. It then threw a code for the glow plugs, and they swore it was the controller, i replaced that. Still a code, so i replaced the glow plugs.. problem fixed. Drive it a week, oil pressure took a stagedive while i was pulling out of a gas station (pedal down) and it wouldnt shift from second to third because the tranny lost vaccum while i was in process of smoking the rings and spinning a main bearing. I am putting a brand new crate engine in it! I got it from Jasper engines. Hopefully that will work but, if i get a block with a serial number that has a "z" in it anywhere, I'm going to strap a half ton of C4 to it and blow the whole thing to the moon. Has anybody ever heard of a story like this?
All in all, i think ive put a grand total of a thousand miles on it since ive owned it (a year). All the rest of the time its been traveling from garage to garage getting things replaced like power steering pumps to hub seals on it. Owning this vehicle has not been my greatest experience. Shes like a bad wife. She looks good, but she sucks all the money out of your pockets, breaks down at the worst times, and has intentions on putting you in the looney bin!
I look forward to talking to all of you and maybe having a big car nerd meet somewhere in the future. That way we can burn up the roads with all 195 horsepower.

Attached Thumbnails New guy with horror story-019.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear about the issues - though that seems to be a common theme with H1 ownership...they're a different beast.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:56 PM

I had to replace the injector pump and turbo in mine after i had it about 3 months. i also did some odds and ends while i had everything apart. changing input and output shaft seals is a breeze. i bought mine with 80,000 miles and even though it is always in need of something small, the mechanical aspects of the truck are pretty straightforward. My wife recently asked me if I was tired of working on it while I was replacing a center bearing and u-joint on the front driveshaft. I thought about it for a second and told her that I actually enjoy tinkering with it. Especially when something goes wrong out on the trail and I spend a handful of hours through the week fixing it, getting ready for the next weekend. Its a love hate relationship.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:08 PM

I hear that brother. Mine has been a headache from the start, and has cost my wife and i so much that i cant afford to sell it haha. I guess were in it for the long haul. As they say "Its cheaper to keep her". Plus what better platform for wasting zombies when the apocalypse comes. Even the fast running zombies dont stand a chance.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of H1s get sold when the deferred maintenance list gets too long. Sometimes things just go wrong. I agree that they can be frustrating sometimes but I love driving and wrenching on these things. You either love them or hate them and you can have both feelings several times a day.