PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New front brake price quote

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Default New front brake price quote

I had a goodyear shop check out my brakes since they feel like there's an uneven spot on the rotors or something since the brakes seem to grab unevenly, almost like a bike feels when the the two rubber pads aren't applying the same pressure on the rim. They said one of the calipers isn't opening all the way so it's dragging on one of the rotors which I guess is what made it uneven and is making that weird feeling when I hit the brakes. He quoted me a price of $1,300 for both front rotors, calipers and pads. That seems high to me but wanted to see what everyone else thinks. Thanks for the help!

Ben

Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 PM

I'm not professional mechanic, but that's high as a giraffes ***!!!
Even picking the most expensive replacements on Rockauto, it was as still under $500.

Do you have the means to do the work yourself?
Granted I have an H2, but I cant imagine the H3s being much, if any, more difficult.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 PM

I've never done brakes before but my brother has done brake pads so I could ask him for help. I thought there was a sticky about replacing the pads and from what I remember, it seemed to be a pain on the H3 so I was afraid to do pads, calipers and rotors, but I'll have to look again. When I searched online for the calipers and rotors I thought their price was pretty high.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 PM

I dont know squat about H3's but just picking the most expensive calipers with pads was $100/side, so $200. Then rotors were roughly $85 a side.
Again, I picked the most expensive ones to say worst case scenario.
Hopefully some H3s guys will come along with better/cheaper ones.

IMHO, brakes arent hard at all. And I am no mechanic.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 AM

If your brother has some knowledge about brakes, the H3 is very similar to any other vehicle. Grab a couple wrenches and save yourself a ton of money!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 AM

1 of my local auto parts supplier has the rotors for $31. each and the loaded calipers for $79. each. =$220.00+tax
My local napa has the semi loaded calipers for $67. each, premium ceramic brake pads for $39. and premium brake rotors for $41. each.=$255.00+tax

Alldata labor:

front brake pads: 1.0
r&r both rotors: .3
r&r both calipers: .4
= 1.7 total

You can save alot on this.

1- install them yourself (parts only cost)
Not hard to do, remove a few bolts, make sure you clean the hubs and brush hubs with antiseize before installing new rotors, use caliper lube on the brake pads & caliper slides, make sure not to let master cylinder go empty when changing the calipers, and bleed the system of air after calipers are installed. Just make sure to properly tighten all the bolts.
2- buy the parts and find a shop to install them for you. (+1.7hours labor should be under $200.00 anywhere)

3- buy the parts and a case of bud, drive it to my house and I will install for you and drink your beer.

http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/upl...isc-Brakes.pdf

Last edited by hummerz; 03-15-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:38 AM

The H3 is one of the most easy vehicles to replace brake pads on.
I did all 4 wheels in less than on hour, in my driveway.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:41 PM

I had never done brakes either. I did turn a set of rotors once in shop in school quite anew years ago. But I bought all four new drilled rotors and all new pads for like 235 shipped. And I dont know about calipers. I will probably need them in the future I assume .
Either way good luck to you. The dealer had quoted me 1200. It was pretty easy even for a beginner so I have tackled everything myself since. Front hub bearing and universal joints, belt tensioner and belt as well as the radiator. And still have header, shocks and k&n coming to do. You should be able to handle it even if you have watch a video on YouTube or something.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all the help! It looks like I'll be getting my brother to help me. I'm sure by the time we get to the second one it'll be easier. I've done a bunch of things to my cars but never brakes so it'll be nice checking this off the list. Now I just have to look for the best parts to get. Thanks again.

Ben

Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 PM

Hummerz, what's the difference between loaded and semi loaded calipers? I'm assuming loaded will be easier for a first timer?

Quick Reply: New front brake price quote