PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

new to the forum with a quick question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Default new to the forum with a quick question

hey whats up my name's mike im 20i have a black 2008 hummer h3 base auto.I work for the USCG and and im new to the forums. My question is i have that chromed out plastic grille when i would like to get the body matched grille cause i think it makes it look more hummerish. But i woundering if my chrome plastic piece could get paint i dropped by a paint shop he said he thinks he can but he wasnt sure if he could ruff it up enought has anyone had any experience with this? thnx mike

Old 01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Default RE: new to the forum with a quick question

Welcome to the forum, I can't help you with this but just wait and somebody will be along to help you. Congrats on your new H3.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Some guys have done that, doing a line x look front with truck bed liner. It is just plastic and could be sanded for a finish I would think. Check with a couple more body shops, even ask the dealer if they have ever done it??

Forgot my manners, Welcome!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Hummer.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Hummer dealers can get you a color matched grill if you want. I'm sure a paint/body shop could paintthe plastichrome too. As mentioned above I may look at getting a flat black Linex job on mine. The Linex bed-liner coating should be more resistant to chips from road debris than body-paint finish.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM

the problem with the grills is that the chrome plating is embedded in the plastic, so you can't get it off. you can roughit up, any good body shop should be able to do it for you. if they don't do a good job though it will chip and end up looking like $hit. i did mine myself with some spray on bedliner - painting isn't my day job - now my grill looks like $hit. having it painted may be a cheaper route than buying a color matched grill from the dealer - but it will take longer and you'll be without a grill for a few days. it all depends on how much money and time you've got.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

How much do you guys think something like that would cost? If I keep this H3 or get another one, I'd like to color-match the grill as well.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 PM

I think the dealer cost for color matched grill is about $325 . . . not sure. I also had a Linex quote over the phone for about $120.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM

First...WELCOME!!!

2nd I think it would be more hastle than it's worth. Check for the color matching grill on eBay! Will last longer FOR SURE!!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM

hey thanks for all the responses the thing is the grills are going for about 400 or sowith shipping when the body shop just quoted me on 150 and it would only take a day to do.

Quick Reply: new to the forum with a quick question