PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New to forum, New to Hummer H3 got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Default New to forum, New to Hummer H3 got some questions

Hey and thanks for the help in advance.

I've never owned a Hummer before and now have a 08 alpha that I purchased from carmax. I just wanted to know you guys opinions or suggestions on where to get it maintenanced. I currently take my scion to goodyear and have had good experience, but with the alpha being such a beast I want to make sure that any particular needs she may have are taken care of. Would you guys recommend dealer service over a goodyear?

Also a co-worker of mine who owns an h2 told me that I only needed to change the oil every 10,000 miles. Maybe if I were to use so sort of special oil, but the reminder sticker from carmax has it setup for 3,000 miles and I would like any suggestions about what type or kind of oil to use.

Also the same person told me that I should have my rear tire mount replaced with an aftermarket one as there has been a problem with the rear tires falling off. Now, I don't remember hearing anything about this on the news- so I'm pretty sure I'm good, but wanted to make sure.

Sorry if this has already been posted I searched for tire falling off and only found a post about a tire breaking off while driving not falling off from the rear door because of a mount issue. Thanks for all the help :-)

Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 AM

For general service any shop you trust is good, I have a friend that's a mechanic so unless it's a warranty fix all my basic work goes to him & he even looks at it before it goes for a warranty claim.
The 10,000 mile oil change I don't buy into, I was told by my dealer it's 6,000 but you have a computer monitored oil life system so your good so long as you change it when that says to & you might get 10 k out of that if you drive nice & easy, me I'll stick w/ 5-6k because of the way I drive.
This is the first I've heard about the spare tire falling off, several people on here & other forums have 35" tires mounted & in over a year of looking at Hummer forums I have not heard that problem

Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 AM

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 AM

Getting the truck serviced, best place is to a gm dealership just because they have most likely dealt with a few h3's at some point. Its not necessary, any good mechanic will know what they are doing but it can give you ease of mind. As far as oil goes any dealership or shop will tell you around 5500 miles because it will get you in the door a bit more often. As far as non bias information I have read 7500 is perfectly fine unless your in extreme weather area then you may have to work around 5000 miles due to the weather messing up the viscosity of the oil. Synthetics buy you more time between oil changes but usually synthetic oil is double the price so your paying for convience. You should keep track of your mileage for oil changes those oil life monitors are a load of crap to be honest. Honda is known for there monitors to send people in way too early for oil changes so dealerships turn over more work. My friends Honda said it needed a oil change at just over 4k miles.As far tires falling off whether it be the spare or the driving wheels, I never heard any stories about it. Best of luck with your "new" h3 hope you enjoy yours like we enjoy ours.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM

If you change your own oil I suggest the synthetic oil like Mobil 1. Changing oil in the H3 is a real PITA so I opt for the 10,000 that synthetics provide. The after-market tire carriers use the same mounting as the OEM. No chance the spare would fall off.

Bob