PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New exhaust manifold needed....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Default New exhaust manifold needed....

Looking for advice or experience with a cracked exhaust manifold. I have a 2006 with a Vortec 3500,3.5L inline five-cylinder that has about 119,000. Looking for OME replacement or a good aftermarket alternative. The truck is stock and I do plan on making a few upgrades. I was going to start with a air intake system but looks like I'll have to start with the exhaust first!

The rest of the exhaust system is fine. I looked on ebay, Flow tech and a couple other sites. The stock manifold looks to be a 2 piece manifold and converter. Some after market look to be 1 piece.

Any experience or tips that will help me decide would be appreciated.

thanks,
BK

Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

The OEM exhaust manifold is one piece with the pup or pre-CAT built in, has 2 O2 sensor bungs, one upstream and one downstream from the pup CAT.

When looking at the aftermarket, make sure to get one with both 02 sensor mounting bungs.

Search on here a bit, there have been some people who went aftermarket, might try google for more info at other forums.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM

I5 Colorado/Canyon Stock Replacement Header

Skeeter just put one of these on his truck and I have one on order now.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
The OEM exhaust manifold is one piece with the pup or pre-CAT built in, has 2 O2 sensor bungs, one upstream and one downstream from the pup CAT.

When looking at the aftermarket, make sure to get one with both 02 sensor mounting bungs.

Search on here a bit, there have been some people who went aftermarket, might try google for more info at other forums.
I think the 2006 exhaust manifold only has one pre-pupcat o2 bung. The post cat o2 is after the main cat.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Definitely 1 assembly.... and you want 2-02 bungs on the manifold...

Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Definitely 1 assembly.... and you want 2-02 bungs on the manifold...

This is incorrect
with the 06 it is only one O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. The One I did was a direct bolt in and worked great. the only issue I had was getting the lower three bolts out.

Here is a pic of the one I ordered and it has two O2 holes, and I only needed one. It took me two days to find a plug for it, and it fell out.

Here is where I ordered mine and it already comes with one O2 hole.
I also ended up replacing my O2 sensor because it was rusted in place

Attached Thumbnails New exhaust manifold needed....-001-2-.jpg  

Last edited by skeeter; 08-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by skeeter
This is incorrect
with the 06 it is only one O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. The One I did was a direct bolt in and worked great. the only issue I had was getting the lower three bolts out.

Here is a pic of the one I ordered and it has two O2 holes, and I only needed one. It took me two days to find a plug for it, and it fell out.

Incorrect? Why? 02's are Awesome, and send the computer some vital information. Why plug the hole?

Wide Band O2 Sensors were developed in the early ‘90s as vehicle manufacturers began looking to obtain air/fuel ratio information under all circumstances. This ranged from WOT to varying ratios, for example running air/fuel ratios leaner than 14.7:1 under cruise conditions. Volkswagen and Honda pioneered the development of the wide-band O2 sensors to provide accurate air-fuel ratios under these varying circumstances. They did this by broadening the voltage range in which feedback from the sensor was provided and making a linear scale that provided a fixed voltage that correlated to a specific air/fuel ratio. While the narrow-band O2 is still the most common type of O2 sensor installed on most new vehicles (for cost reasons), OEMs will still use wide-bands on many forced induction applications (or, in Honda’s case, on their “lean-burn” Civics). High performance vehicle tuners discovered that wide-band O2 sensors are very helpful when accurate air/fuel ratio readings are required to maximize power, reliability, and mileage on modified vehicles.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 PM

it specifically says 2 O2 holes, and I know for a fact there is only one

I would think that you could read because I just explained that and tried to help someone that was wanting information.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 PM

it specifically says 2 O2 holes, and I know for a fact there is only one

I would think that you could read because I just explained that and tried to help someone that was wanting information.
Yes, Get a manifold with 2-02 bungs & use them!... Brilliant!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM

This is incorrect

Like Skeeter said, the 06's are different and have 1 O2 sensor in the manifold.

Quick Reply: New exhaust manifold needed....