PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Never been off-roading

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Default Never been off-roading

I am on vacation this week and looking to do some off-roading in the Utah desert. Since buying my H2 last month, I haven't really had the opportunity to take it out and play in it. I have never been off-roading so I probably have a lot to learn. I won't be doing anything extreme such as trying to crawl over huge boulders or drive through rivers. I will mainly be looking to get some practice in. Is there anything I need to know or be careful about? Does anybody have any tips for the inexperienced? I appreciate any replies or suggestions.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Congrats....just go have some fun...
I'd start with really easy dust covered (trails/roads) and slowly move up when your comfort level is there.

Chris

Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 PM

#1 thing to know: Never wheel alone!

Plenty of tips and posts on here about beginning wheeling and what you should have in/on your rig when wheeling. Enjoy your first OffRoad experience.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will follow the dvice. Appreciate it.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

There are some scenic trails in Moab that aren't that difficult for a first timer. Too bad you aren't couple of weeks later. There will be a group of us in Moab the second week of October.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 AM

Awe man. That sounds like a great time. I played around in the Mexican Hat area and in Gooseneck State Park. I got to a fishing spot on the San Juan River that I wasn't able to get to before. Other than some guy on a floating expedition that commented, "Look at that big piece of crap. I wonder what he is trying to compensate for?' it was a fun day. I did get a few light scratches on the passenger side though. Hoping it will just need touch up paint.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM

What part of UT are you in? I occasionally wheel with some other local Hummer guys, basically down to just one other guy, but he knows the desert area on the SE side of Great Salt Lake. It's pretty easy stuff with some hill climb areas and such - good beginner area.

Couple suggestions - never go out alone. Even if you are doing nice easy stuff with zero chance of getting stuck, it's always possible to break down and if you are out where nobody else is around.... Stay out of the area (desert SE of GSL) if there is a chance it will rain. Never been there personally when it rained, but this guy has and says the ground turns into slick mud similar to grease. Apparently he made it about 20 feet off pavement, slowly spun 360* at idle, and wasn't sure he would even make it back those 20 feet.

Personally, I prefer mountain trails, camping, stuff like that but once the snow starts until it melts away, the desert is an ok alternative. This is the SLC, Layton, Ogden area, if you are way down south then never mind.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Skeptic, you coming down to Moab in a few weeks?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

spoon,

Preferably you go out with a group of experienced wheelers your first few trips until you get comfortable with your rig and it's capabilities. Going with other Hummer owners is best since they know the trucks, would have spare parts, etc. If not possible then a group of experienced offroaders regardless of what they drive. Start slow, don't do things you aren't comfortable with yet and learn the ropes at your own speed. Not wheeling alone is great advice. Most of us that hunt, camp and fish do it though. I frequently use my Hummers to get way up in the mountains on my hunting trips and being away from other hunters is part of the attraction of the Hummer for me. I do carry all the tools and spares that I should reasonably need and can make the repairs. I am also a licensed HAM radio operator and have a HAM radio in the truck. All that said I don't do recreational wheeling as a solo truck.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
Skeptic, you coming down to Moab in a few weeks?
Wish I could, I'd really love to. Unfortunately there is no possible way to get out of work or I would.

Quick Reply: Never been off-roading