PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Neutral Safety switch needs adj. question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Default Neutral Safety switch needs adj. question

I'm currently looking to purchase my first humvee and found one. A 96' H1 wagon with 125K+ miles. The owner says the Neutral Safety switch needs adj. and sometimes won't start in park position. He's gotten into the habit of shifting to N to start. Is this an indicter of the transmission going or a simple fix? Thanks for any advice.
By the way heres a simple list of problems-
Cig lighters in doghouse don't work. Connection or perhaps fuse.

Elec window rocker switch dr's side back door. Needs replacing. Presently removed so window can be controlled from front.

Window tint, both pass side windows. Front has crease, Rear has scratch.

Neutral Safety switch needs adj. Sometimes won't start in park position. Have gotten into the habit of shifting to N to start.

Circular crack in pass-side windshield glass, but obstructed from Dr's view by rear view mirror. Recently passed VA safety inspec.

..In your opinon whats a reasonable price for this.
Matt

Old 03-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Default RE: Neutral Safety switch needs adj. question

Not sure price for it since I really haven't been following the prices lately(just too awful to look at, unless your a buyer heh) But the neutral safety switch is cheap part wise but a pain to replace since it has to be done by 2 people... one in the truck and one underneath it, and really is a pain for the one underneath the truck since all the gunk from the transmission shifter drops down into your face. Mine is due for replament as well but if you pull the shifter towards you usually starts up from park no problem... there is a n switch bypass mod as well that some H1 owners have done.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

The nuetral safety swithc sells on Ebay sometimes for $35-40.00. If you go to the dealer to get it changed they will probably charged you $4-500.00 to replace it. Most of the cost is in the labor. Like Injun says, it is a pain to swap out.
Windshield glass, particularly if you have the heated glass is expensive. I have seen them sell on Ebay with small chips for $4-500.00.
Door window switches run$10-30.00 and are easy to replace. The lighters are cheap.
One of these days the truck won't start. I would get the neutral safety switch replaced soon. The rest of the items are minor there is no rush to correct. Gasser/diesel, aftermarket accessories, wheels/tires, paint/interior condition, HVAC work? Lots of unanswered questions.
I think a good range for a 96 wagon in nice shape is probably 34-38K

Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM

my fault,heres more info-
"6.5 Turbo, rebuilt the transfer case in '04. Fuel inject repl. in '05. Brake work and new heater blower motor in oct 07.
New batteries in '06. Less than is typical corrision/paint blistering on the rear quarters along the edge by the top gasket. Light media blast, metal prep, feather in some paint, gone. A cigarette lighter burn on the doghouse, but I have a spare doghouse. Company markings are decals - should come off with no prob.

Though she's seen very little off-road, it was rolled in '97. More damage done righting her afterward. Required new roof ( a '98 in a crate ) two pass side doors, side mirror, a windshield frame and some glass... "

Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Probably closer to 34K.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM

does the truck have a 2" lift on it? if so it probley not the switch, its your shift linkage., it probley needs to be adjusted. This could also be the case if the truck is not lifted, and its free to get on your back for fifteen min. if you need any pointers from there feel free to hit me up

Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

magnum, ever find an Alpha wheel?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 AM

negative on the lift. Thanks for the info though.
Heres a (bad) photo of the engine block.

Any thing stick out to you guys?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

More than likely the nuetral safety switch then

Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM

i'm getting it for 19k too good to be true?

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety switch needs adj. question