PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

need your advice..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Default need your advice..

I've been looking into getting the RANCHO lift kit for my H3 but I want to get your honest opinons. Here in Hawaii my tire threads cannot go beyond the wheel fender, if it does it will not pass RECON and it will be considered illigal - and that is not good because I drive my H3 everyday!!

If I place the lift kit on it I will have to stay with the 16 X 7.5 In. to keep it legal, however I did these really quick photoshop edits and personally I think it looks fine but my wife thinks it looks like my H3 is tipping toes, she basically doesn't like it at all - I think it's because she is only 5' and getting in would be like climbing a building (kidding).

What do you guys think? I could be exageratting a little with the edits but I based it on the 4 inch lift.

CURRENTLY NO LIFT:

PHOTOSHOP WITH LIFT:

CURRENTLY NO LIFT:

PHOTOSHOP WITH LIFT:

Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Default RE: need your advice..

I think if your photoshops are accurate, it looks cool..[8D]

But practicality comes to mind about; would that throw off the center of gravity and enturn make your HUMMER unstable and top heavy in cornering, etc.?[sm=insomnia.gif]

Something to consider...[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM

i would recommend staying with the current setup. if you don't need a lift to clear the tires, and apparently state inspections won't let you go any wider, it probably won't give you much of an advantage off road. unless you plan on driving the boulders in some of the lava fields, i don't think you'd really need a lift for the islands. we had a lifted H2 on a run a few weeks ago that had more trouble handling the boulders than my non lofted truck did. plus, you probably have few places with hummer experience for repairs, and the dealership may not work on suspension or front drive train issues if you've added a lift (not sure about yours, but it would be worth checking prior to doing it). i haven't been anywhere yet that a lift would have been beneficial, and all that scraping on the frame rails keeps the rust off . . . . . .

Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM

Besides, if you lift it, then you can throw away the side hill specs that Hummer puts out because you center of gravity will be higher and that wil cause you to roll over sooner, which could limit where you can go because of off camber leans.

It looks cool, but it is expensive. So the question really is, will you get the expected bang for your buck you are hoping for?

Old 10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'm the only I.T. guy in the world that doesn't know how to use Photoshop. I definitely need to learn this program!

Anyway, I think it would look pretty close to what you have. My wife is 5'1" so I feel your pain As long as you dont take turns fast (like I do) then you should be ok, but Dennis has a good point. Are you willing to give up some of your turning stability?

I know this may be a dumb question, but what does "passing RECON" mean? Is this some special thing in Hawaii?

Old 10-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Old 10-03-2006, 10:28 PM

Not sure if I like those flares

Old 10-03-2006, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I'm the only I.T. guy in the world that doesn't know how to use Photoshop. I definitely need to learn this program!

Anyway, I think it would look pretty close to what you have. My wife is 5'1" so I feel your pain As long as you dont take turns fast (like I do) then you should be ok, but Dennis has a good point. Are you willing to give up some of your turning stability?

I know this may be a dumb question, but what does "passing RECON" mean? Is this some special thing in Hawaii?
THANKS GUYS FOR THE FEEDBACK!! I think I have to think it over, everything you all said is true it will make me top heavy and I will lose the turning stability. My only interest in raising it is because I hate taking off my side step tubes to climb rocks, the height will give me more clearance...hmmm got to think about it.

Hey HummerGuy - Recon is just short for 'Reconstruction' it's basically the state laws regarding altered-height vehicles. Check this link, it's very useful especially if you're trying to make your truck as legal as possible.

* US State Truck Height LAWS *

Old 10-05-2006, 01:52 PM

Looks better they way you have it now.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM

Go read the info on Rancho's site. You CANNOT use the OEM wheels with the Rancho lift.

Quick Reply: need your advice..