PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

NEED SUGGESTIONS, H3 problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Default NEED SUGGESTIONS, H3 problem...

Was just wondering if anyone has had to replace the spark plugs yet, I have an 06 h3 with 38k miles. For some reason when it's idle it willmake this strangeshake/jerk thing every ten or so seconds. It's hard to explain, but its as though the vehicle wants to stall. I'm hoping it's a spark plug issue, since I'm assuming they have not been replaced since i bought the vehicle last year with 28k miles. If that's not the issue though I'm wondering if anyone else has an idea of what it may be? I thought it was bad gas due to the ethanol in fuel now, but I have used fuel injector cleaner and re-filled at least 3x at different stations, tried using some premium gasand the issue has not been resolved. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Default RE: NEED SUGGESTIONS, H3 problem...

Also, it starts up with no problem, so I'm having second thoughs on whether it is a spark plug issue...just hoping it's not a header problem.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:15 PM

i would check on spark plugs, clean the MAF sensor, change the oil, and run Shell/Chevron for a bit and see if that helps

Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

I would doubt it was spark plugs at only 38K. They are easy enough to change though. If you are not throwing a CE light, you may still want to run by one of the auto parts chains that will run a free diagnosic scan and see if there is a code for a misfire?

Guess the only other thing is keep in mind the I5 is not inherently balanced, they do shake, rattle and roll when at idle. A little wiggle of jerk here and there is no biggy with both the L52 and LLR. So if it is not truely stumbling when you first apply throttle off an idle, and you have no codes for a misfire, just keep truckin.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks, I'm problably just gonna bring it in to my dealer and mention it. I wanna get the driver-side mirror fixed as well, it has that nice shake when I go over 60. So i'll just have them see if they can figure out what is causing the engine pulsation as well. I got an air-raid CAI in there, is it okay to still use the air-raidfilter and put the factory (fully covered) box back on for the winter, I mean a filter's a filter right? I'm from upstate new york so we get some heavy snow, all i need is some water splashing up in there. Problably get an oil change to, been almost 4000 miles since my last one,I figured if it was a header poblem I would problably geta CE light as well.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

The tech guys at my dealership have naver said anything about my intake and filter, other than: "cool".

I agree, a filter is no biggy.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Brought it in today, turned out two of the coils were screwed up so they replaced both of those and now were back in business, kinda a shock to me, just glad it wasn't a header problem. Was under warranty, and while i was there got a tire rotation so in the end only cost me 22 bux, can't complain there. So far I've had every problem there is with my 06 but thankfully it hasn't cost me anything. Lets see, had drive belt replaced, had cracks on the roof panels, had to have windshield replaced, idiots screwed up my light bar replacing the windshield, had wind-noise when they put them back on, got wind-noise kit installed, one of the door handles broke off...i feel like it's part of my weekly routine to go there every week and have somethign fixed. I love the vehicle, but the repairs are dirivng me nuts, all I can say is amen for a warranty, may have to get a new one or somethign else when that expires, i could not afford all of the repairs this thing needs. Should have jsut bought an 07 they seem to be far less troublesome than the 06's.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 PM

you say it wants to stall. What is your idle speed on the tach say while this is happening. Stock idle is around 750 for reference