PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Need a replacement OEM Chrome Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Question Need a replacement OEM Chrome Hood Vent

So the chrome hood vent on my 06 H3 actually blew off of my hood the other day, in turn breaking all but 4 of the clips and rubber seals that attach into the slots in the hood. I am needing to replace it but cannot seem to find one with the clips that fit the hood, everything I have found is an add on and just uses adhesive which is not what I need. Does anyone have any thoughts or places they know of where I can get a new one? Besides a junk yard? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by LooseMoose
So the chrome hood vent on my 06 H3 actually blew off of my hood the other day, in turn breaking all but 4 of the clips and rubber seals that attach into the slots in the hood. I am needing to replace it but cannot seem to find one with the clips that fit the hood, everything I have found is an add on and just uses adhesive which is not what I need. Does anyone have any thoughts or places they know of where I can get a new one? Besides a junk yard? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.
I would go to a GM dealer or call GM directly and demand a new one, as there was a recall on this problem that came out early in 2010 for all 06-10 H3's . GM recall # N100088 and NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V179000. After you get a new one put on right you can always get a chrome overlay..

"DEALERS WILL APPLY AN ADHESIVE TO THE HOOD LOUVER TO SECURE IT TO THE HOOD. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 12, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HUMMER AT 800-732-5493 OR AT THE OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM. " hope this helps

Last edited by ElliotF; 02-22-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks a ton!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM

The dealer will install a new hood grill with a big glop of glue on each side, good luck getting this off if you need to later! I have seen a few from the dealer like this and it is a mess. The new chrome GM hood grills are still available, they come with the rubber trim and the clips. I would install it my self, there has to be a better way then the big glop of glue trick that GM approves of.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:54 PM

I had to take mine in for the recall and they just added glue to it, and kept my H3 for 6hours to make sure the glue was dry

Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 AM

My hood louvre had looked a bit dicey for a while.

Last week on the motorway to Abu Dhabi it blew off - nearly hit the poor chaps behind me. I took it to the dealer and it was still in warranty (even though I'm not original owner) they replaced it and glued the new one on as per the recall.

I don't know why it was attached like that in the first place, would seem to make much more sense to have screws at each corner. Come to that, I don't know why it has the stupid thing anyway - the hood looked fine without it (aside from the remains of the mountings for the hood louvre).

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Yeah, even if it is out of warranty, the dealer will replace it as part of the recall - that it, if your truck hasn't already had the recall. Probably hasn't since it blew off. They put a brand new vent on for me but now I am paranoid and won't take it through car washes anymore. If it blows off again I'll have to pay for it. I'll do something later to attach it down better. Not that big a deal right now.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 AM

One way to keep it down is to put the handles [ H2] and screw them from inside the hood..guaranteed to stay safe

Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 PM

I thought about that. I would have to find some of the really low profile handles. I don't like the ones that stick up too far.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
I thought about that. I would have to find some of the really low profile handles. I don't like the ones that stick up too far.
Saw the exact thing you are describing on ebay, but now I can't seem to find it. Low profile handles, and I think it was in stainless steele aswell.

Here is a replacement, kind of expensive though:
Chrome Billet Aluminum Hood Panel Hummer H3 - eBay (item 300514392289 end time Apr-12-11 00:51:11 PDT)

Quick Reply: Need a replacement OEM Chrome Hood Vent