PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Need MAJOR Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Default Need MAJOR Help!

Randomly one day my Hummer (H3) began to act like the parking break was still on. Although nothing is braked. Examples:

If I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left or right, and step on the gas, the car barely turns. It also squeals like I'm rubbing against breaks. EVERYTHING when I drive is super tight almost like the parking break is half way on (although its not). I have three options to press above my GPS for 4WD and it's on the one closest to me which is 4WD (arrow up) no locks. I've changed in between them and nothing has changed. I now can't parallel park either! In LA that's REAL bad since the city didn't plan with parking nor cars. People stare at me when I turn into a parking lot. Sounds like I have breaks on full blast. What is the deal? I think this has happened once before and I fixed it but couldn't remember. AH!

BTW everyone I've asked has been acting like I'm speaking ALIEN. What the heck?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Default RE: Need MAJOR Help!

can u say dealer cause that where u need to go.i have nnot heard of what u are saying but then again i am not a mechanic,good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/4035/FA935895EB8946E1BACAC85D5FD0658D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2009, 02:58 PM

Yeah that's my last resort. That's why I joined these forums to figure it out. The only true Hummer dealership near me is in Thousand Oaks, CA and is in the middle of nowhere from LA!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 PM

.. Stupid question I know... are you sure the parking breakwasn't on?

Mine acted kind of like that the other night and it magically went into 4 high lock. At one point it totaly locked up and wouldn't go anywhere. I put it into neutral and cycled through the transfer case (4 High Lock, 4 Low Lock) and that didn't do much. Then I totally turned the truck off and then restarted. Everthing went back and I was able to pull into the parking space. It felt a lot more like 4 low lock than 4 high lock. Not sure what it was doing but it was werid though. Although I've read of the transfer case inguaging by itself here.. the service dept hadn't heard of any instances and thought it was weird. He wasn't worried as long as it was under highway speeds for a short time (it was). Trying to parallel park you might have hit the switch?? Don't know.. but if it keeps happening you'llwant to make a visit to the dealership and let them puzzle it out.

Being in Dallas / Fort Worth ... we have 4 full-on Hummer dealers. Of course the distance between the two furthest is over 60 miles and the 2 Dallas ones and 1 in Grapevine form a 30+ mile triangle.. but you'd think there would be heaps of Hummer dealers in LA!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:35 PM

I know you've made it very clear that the parking break wasn't on, but the only time I've experienced something like what you're talking about was when I drove a few feet with the parking break on by accident. You better stop driving it until you can get it to a dealer because it sounds like it's doing some damage!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:39 AM

Have you tried TEAM Hummer in Pasadena? That's where I went... they took good care of me. Ask for Vic.. he's my service advisor.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 AM

Mine does the same thing if what you are describing is:

When you turn your stearing wheel all the way to the stop, then while you are trying to drive forward will the stearing wheel spin back to the center position when you let go of it or will it stay turned to the stop position?

If it stay turned, what I believe happens is the HUMMERS wheel cut is so tight that you are actually trying to push the front tires sideways. It's a great feature to have when you are manuvering on a tight off-road trail but will freek you out in a paved parking lot.

As to going into 4-wheel or anything else, mine does not do that.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 AM

My guess is the clearance on your emergency pads are to close and need to be adjusted. The clearance is very small and could drag.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 PM

That's brake not break

Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: wfturner

That's brake not break
You see that a lot, break for brake. I know what they mean.

Quick Reply: Need MAJOR Help!