PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Need help from u guys with bigger tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Default Need help from u guys with bigger tires

Hey I posted this in the tire and wheel forum but evedently no one reads there so I figured some of you guys in H3 forum coul help.

I just installed my new tires/wheels and the tire pressure sensorlight is on/ the service tpmcalled dealer and they said that I probably wouldn't be able to screw the sensor onto my new valve stems and I checked what THEY CALL the TPS will not fit on my new valve stem. How can I get the light to go out and also how does a little threaded sleeve tell the truck if the tires are low. I unscrewed one and it's jsut a sleeve that threads onto the valve stem or did this guy tell me wrong? I was wondering if this guy even knewwhat he was talking about because he had to put me on hold and go ask someone else. Has anyone else that installedtires and wheels had this problem? I did a search and it turned up nothing I find it hard to believe I amthe first with tis problem.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Default RE: Need help from u guys with bigger tires

I put 33 BFG A/T's on mine, haven't had a problem with the TPM's. The owners manual tells you how to reset them. Not sure what to tell you about the valve stem, they should have given you one that would fit or ask you if you wanted to use your old ones. Pretty sure there a few people on here running without them at all so you should be fine. Unless this is something that just bugs you.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM

To be honest I am comfused as to if the the threaded barrels are actually tire pressure sensors and how/where to get ones to fit my valve stems if they are and how they actually work? Also is there a way to make the warning and light stop comming up on my dash. I think this is more an issue with after market wheels than tires. I would like to get the issue fixed to get rid of the light and the message on my odometer. I have found the section in my mauel as how to reset them and that sounds easy enough.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 PM

when you bought the new wheels, were the sensors moved to the new wheels? It's not just a valve, it's a much bigger component (pic isn't from an H3, just an example). From what you say, it sounds like they left it off. The valve stem, from what I hear, acts as an antenna to from the sensor to the truck. I doubt you'll be able to disable the message without a complete and properly set system with all four sensors.

Do you have the sensors? Are they still on your old wheels? Ask the installer to demonstrate why it won't work. And it if won't you have two choices - return the wheels or live with the error messages and lights. Returning the wheels might force them to find a way to mount the sensors.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2455/D0ACCD2C62DF478F906B5579CE1FB688.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

TPS are on almost all cars these days. Any competent tire and wheel shop knows how to mount them. I would go back to the shop that mounted the tires and wheels and tell them they have to finish the installation. Was it the dealer, national tire and wheel chain or some local shop that did the install?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 PM

I bought the tires and wheel off the internet from 4wheel parts.com it's notthier fault as the tire and wheels came mounted and balanced. Now maybe they should have told me that I wouldn't have this feature or would have to have to done when I recieved them.

Alrock where do they mount these tps ers on the wheel becasue I removed my old wheels and I don't these or any thing else on my wheels any where? I know that others here have bought thier tires and wheels online maybe if one them could let me know what they did to resolve this problem.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:39 PM

They actually mount on the inside of the rim (tire) You will have to have the tire removed to install them [:@], sorry.

Buying them premounted explains alot though.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:28 PM

Assuming that when you took off your old wheels you left the tires on them and thus the sensors are still inside. If so, take the old tires/wheels with you to a tire shop, have them deflate the tires, take out the sensors, install them on the new tires. I would think you would then need to rebalance all of the tires.

Since you have an '08 you may only have 4 sensors; rumor has it that in 08 GM stopped putting one in the spare. If you have a rubber valve you don't have TPMS in that wheel.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks guy's I really don't care about the TPM I will be calling hte dealer tomarrow to see if they can get the warning off my dash I will post back with what the dealership say's

Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 AM

maybe they should have told me that I wouldn't have this feature
Jackkfrost, did you let the place where you bought the tires & rims knowthat you had a Hummer, or at least let them know you had the tire pressure monitoring system in your tires? If not, they would not have known to install themfor an extra charge for the modules in your tires.

I'm haveing my 35's install this Thursday and the very first thing my shop asked is if I had that system so they will remain in my new tires when the new tires are mounted.

Quick Reply: Need help from u guys with bigger tires