PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Need help with Backup Camera and Monitor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Question Please review my Backup Camera Wiring Plans

UPDATED POSTING - PLEASE REVIEW MY WIRING PLANS AND COMMENT. Thanks in advance! I figure that the hitch plug would be a good place to run all power wires for the monitor as it has lead, ground and reverse signal (which the monitor needs as a switch to turn on). I plan to run the video and power (18 gauge) right under the plastic pieces at the bottom of each door opening (I should be able to tuck the wires under one of the edges).

So the units I bought are as follows:
Boyo VTM3600 Monitor
Boyo VTB170 Camera

Camera Wiring:
Connect red/black wires to backup lamp in driver side tail light via taps
Yellow video cable to monitor video cable (via a 12 foot extension cable)

Monitor Wiring:
Connect red lead wire from monitor to red battery wire on trailer hitch plug (via 18 gauge extension wire)
Connect black ground wire from monitor to white ground wire on trailer hitch plug (via 18 gauge extension wire)
Connect blue reverse pos wire from monitor to light green backup light wire on trailer hitch plug (via 18 gauge extension wire)

Thanks,

Joe

All,

I received my new backup camera and monitor this morning and want to wire it into my H3 this weekend. I have been reading posts that people have been able to wire these into the fuse box (monitor) and hitch power supply (camera) so that they only go on when in reverse. Does anyone have pics of where exactly the wires are that I need to tap into? I have been doing a far amount of work on my Intrepid (but I have a copy of the service manual) and would like some assistance with this so that it will work right.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Joe

Last edited by jshabouk; 10-07-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Updated Info
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM

All the systems out there instruct you to wire monitor and camera to reverse lights. Something you may want to consider......I wired mine to go on with the ignition. That way the camera/monitor are ALWAYS on.....it gives me that additional piece of mind being able to see my blind spots even when not in reverse. Personal preference.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:23 PM

Two additional questions...

1) Is the trailer power socket always on (even after the engine is turned off)?

2) Broken Halo - How/where would you make the power connections (based on the wiring needs of the camera/monitor I bought)? Any suggestions? I'm trying to get as much info (including pics, diagrams if available, etc) to help me out.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jshabouk
Two additional questions...

2) Broken Halo - How/where would you make the power connections (based on the wiring needs of the camera/monitor I bought)? Any suggestions? I'm trying to get as much info (including pics, diagrams if available, etc) to help me out.

Thanks.
Had a feeling you were going to ask that......You can probe wires under the dash with a 12 volt tester to see what is active when the ignition is on. What I did (since I've got a few accessories I wanted to work only when the ignition is on), was to tap into an empty fuse slot in the fuse box that turns on with the ignition. I found one, but your fuse box might show a different fuse number, so use the 12 volt tester to find yours. I ran a wire from that, to a 30 amp relay as the trigger wire. The relay gets it's power directly from the battery. Then I ran the relay output to an 'auxiliary' fuse panel I mounted under the dash. It feeds/fuses my gps, backup camera, backup monitor, FM modulator, extra interior lights, and under hood compressor.

Attached Thumbnails Need help with Backup Camera and Monitor wiring-auxilary-fuse-panel.jpg  

Last edited by Broken Halo; 10-07-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Camera monitor location using the 'vent louver mount' that came with it. You can also get these in generic versions for any monitor.

Attached Thumbnails Need help with Backup Camera and Monitor wiring-dsc00580.jpg   Need help with Backup Camera and Monitor wiring-dsc00579.jpg   Need help with Backup Camera and Monitor wiring-dsc00581.jpg