PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

need to find reverse (Backup) light wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: need to find reverse (Backup) light wire

I think I would want mine on full time also.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 PM

I could be wrong but I remember that most of those backup monitors have a turn on lead. This is a wire that you connect to aswitched source like the power wire to the stereo that only comes on when the ignition is 'On'. This wire doesnt actually power the monitor, just tells it when to wake up and it doesnt draw much power so you dont have to worry about fuses or connecting to a sensitive source. For the actual power, assuming there is a turn on lead, you can then connect it to a good solid power line that is on all the time. When picking those in the cab, I tend to splice of the back of a cigarette lighter outlet. Those provide heavy amps and are a good spot to pull power from without worrying about overdrawing something important since they are usually on their own fuse.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:44 PM

I ran mine through the firewall and added a fuse for it in the fuse box. I had a couple empty fuse slots so I found one that is only live when the key is on and I ran the wire through the rubber nipple that the hood release goes through. It is a small enough wire that it allows it to reseal once you get the wire through it. If you want I will take pictures tomorrow when it is daylight out and post them.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:42 PM

That can be good. I had hoped that the wires laying on the floor under the carpet, by the drivers left foot, would contain the needed wires. Splice Scotchlocks came with the monitor and there are only two wires, so no turn on wire I assume. I had one of the wired versions, but it was defective, so the manufacturer sent me a wireless one to replace it. There have been comments about not leaving the camera on full time, as it would burn out, but nothing was said about the monitor as far as I recall.
Thanks for all the help

Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 AM

I have never seen a camera "burn out". Hook it up to switched power so it dos t put any draw on the battery.