PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

need to find reverse (Backup) light wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Default need to find reverse (Backup) light wire

Hi, I'm installing a camera on the rear so my wife can see better when backing up, and need to find the reverse light wire. I found the 4 ends of the trailer hitch wires hanging out. Would one of these activate backup lights for a trailer? If so, which one? green, brown, yellow or white.

If none of these do the backup light, how can I access the light to splice into it easiest?

Thanks,
Jeff
2008 H3

Old 04-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Default RE: need to find reverse (Backup) light wire

assuming it is the 7 pin..

[IMG]local://upfiles/4217/D804058C08904DF1A63138DBEB44E8F6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-12-2008, 05:40 PM

Name:  DSCF0703.jpg
Views: 4215
Size:  56.3 KB

i just installed a reverse spot light and took the right light assembly out and found the reverse light wire that wayit also makes it easier to run the wire into the cab
and this is where installed the above the number plate
there should be angle spacers in the camera pack so that you can angle the lens across

Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks guys. The H3 only has 4 wires. and there is no plug when you don't order the towing package apparently - they are just tucked away underneath by the frame. I wasnt getting any power from the green lead though - I stuck it in acc, Reverse, and the reverse lights were on but no power on that supposed green towing lead. weird. If a new camera works, I may have to connect behind the lamp itself. I'll just have to find out how to get the lens off.

SOmehow my camera died between the garage test and connecting it to the hummer. I'll have to take it back. its one of those wireless deals. When the trailer green wire wasnt working, I tied it in to the license plate lamp and thats when I realized it died. I'll try again with another one.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Good luck, I had a hard time finding the reverse light when installing some reverse PIAAs on my Gobi.
A test light will be your best friend here. I tried following the wire harness a ways back so that I didnt have a splice so exposed but found that the wires seemed to change color somewhere above the gas tank.
Here is what worked best for me... With the truck ignition in 'on' but the engine not running, make sure the lights are off and put it in reverse with the E-Brake ON!!! This way you can find wires that light up. Mark the ones that light it up and then put it back in park and figure out which one is now off that was on before and there is your reverse lead.

Skippy, did you use a relay for your backup light? I found that plugging my lights directly into the reverse light circuit made my lights about half as bright as they should be. Its a pretty low amp circuit and doesnt take well to adding extra lights. Ifit seems a bit dim, it takes a little extra wire to add a relay up to the battery but is definately worth it when it comes to brightness.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 AM

yes i used a relay to wire the rear and roof lights up with all the roof lights going and the engine at 1500rpm the battery is being charged which is a good thing

Old 04-13-2008, 08:02 AM

I installed one of these wireless cameras on mine too and it is pretty easy. Just open your back door remove the two screws that hold the tail light on and then it pulls right off. I tapped into the backup light there since I could not find the right wire on the trailor harness. I do recomend making sure you hook it to the backup lights though. When I first hooked it up I hooked it to the tail lights so that it could be on any time I wanted it to be not just when backing up, but that ended up being more of a distraction than anything so I moved it to the backup lights like I was supposed to do in the first place.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Why did you find it to be a distraction? That's what I think I would want.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:46 PM

I just found that every time I would be stopping at a light or driving down the road with that a$$&*(e tailgaiting me, I would pay more attention to the monitor to see how close they actually were than I would not be paying that much attention to where I was going...lol.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM

Ok, got the camera part done. Now the monitor needs power, and I dropped the line down between the dash and the firewall to the floorboard. Pulled the carpet back and there is a maze of wires and colors there. Which ones do I need for power to the monitor, and should it have power other times then when in reverse? I'm a newbie, so this question and answer was very timely.

Quick Reply: need to find reverse (Backup) light wire