PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

NEED door handle! Snapped off..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Default NEED door handle! Snapped off..

Well not sure it was the sub-zero temps or the handle was froze a bit or both...but my 13 year old son went to get in the rear passenger door the other morning and handle just broke off, both plastic stems of the handle snapped. So all you see now is the two holes in the door and the mounting plates in those holes.

our 2007 has 50K miles on it so no warranty job, so my question is where is a good place to get a replacement?? Thru a dealer or is there some better suppliers here?

I am guessing to install you come in from the interior??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Old 02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Default Awesome!!

Thanks for the link...the pics did not show up on this PC but the directions are straight forward enough. Now to find replacement door handles.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Funny shiz, same thing happened to me. Picked up my Nephew to take him hunting. He was 7. Pretty excited to be going, he ran around to the passenger side but never got in. I waited and finally with the window down I said you gettin in or what? He said the door wouldn't open. after a couple exchanges back and forth I got out to go around and see WTF would cause the door to not open. When I got around there I didn't have a door handle... both parts were gone. I thought what the hell... when did this happen??? I reached inside and opened the door, got him in and buckled. As I was driving off I saw in my rear view mirror something silver and shiny... I stopped walked back and there was both parts on the ground where I had been parked. When I finally got the truth out of him, he said he jumped up, grabbed the handle and was hanging on it. (he's pretty big for 7) when it broke off he just threw it under the hummer to hide it. He was scared I would be mad. After a heart to heart about I wouldn't be mad but its always best to tell the truth etc... I tore his azz up.... Kiddin.... Anyway i got both parts ordered that night, they came in three days later and took me 30 mins to install. Not a big deal.. Good luck and tell the kid not to hang on the handle.....

Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 AM

Do you need chrome handles? If so I have 5 handles and buttons.

Originally Posted by H3inPA
Thanks for the link...the pics did not show up on this PC but the directions are straight forward enough. Now to find replacement door handles.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM

EG PM sent

Slumord, my boy loves to hunt too, but he did this when he was heading to school so i am assuming there was not much excitement in his grasp, LOL...the morning was chilly at -6 and the driveway was slippery so maybe he slipped and braced himself on it or something.

Funny little story you told....I think I did similar stuff when I was a kid, I remember saying "I found it like that" alot anyways.

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by H3inPA; 02-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM

The same thing happened to me on the passenger side rear. The door was frozen shut and I yanked the handle off. Talk about cheap, I've heard this happening to a lot of people on here.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by EGHUMMER
Do you need chrome handles? If so I have 5 handles and buttons.
I would like to have at least two sets of them if you would sell them. How much do you want or if you don't want to bust up the set how much for all five.... You can pm me if you want. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM

I'll buy one from you as well. Sent you a PM

Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 AM

hey guys, a couple follow-ups on this...

First, The link back to the thread on "how to" replace door handles was top notch perfect and after reading it a few times my 14 year old was able to complete it the replacement in about 2 minutes under my supervision (he loves working on vehicles , I hate it) THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED THERE.

Second, here is a follow up scenario. To replace the broken handle on my H3 I bought some used chrome handles from a member on here. One handle is all I needed, but he had 5 so sent them all. The main reason I jumped on this is that he had OEM chrome handles, and I would be replacing black onews that I got the chrome overlays for about 2 years ago (BTW, I don't recommend the overlays at all for folks in the north, they don't hold up to road salt too well)...anyway he sent me all 5, and my plan was to swith the remaining 4 handles out with his factory chrome ones to get back to shineable chorme. But, I noticed last night that the one I used to make the repair was the only one of the 5 that had BOTH little tabs on the hinge side, the other 4 had broken off the bottom tab either fully or partially in removal..so the question is:

Would you replace the working handles with these that have only one tab? Are those tabs that key or does the handle still operate with just one in that framing?

Since it is so easy to do I plan to do the back door first and see how it goes since that chrome overlay is peeling and looks terrible on that handle, if no problems with operation or rattle,etc.. I may do the others. I will always have the two tab black with chrome overlay to fall back on, but don't want more work for no reason, although my 14 year old might not mind the extra vheicle work order....LOL

Last edited by H3inPA; 03-17-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: NEED door handle! Snapped off..