PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Need advise for new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Default Need advise for new tires...

So far I was running GY Wrangler Silent Armor (265/75R16) (thanks to previous owner) and I was kinda okay with that.
Other day I noticed a nail in side wall of one of the tire and guess what, its not repairable . and that lead me to buy new shoes for my 2006 H3 .
This time I want to upgrade it to 315/75R16. My H3 is base model. I am going to crank it up to avoid rubbing. Here is the sort listed tires in the order I like 'em.

Cooper STT Pro (Cooper STT is discontinued )
General Grabber
Cooper ST MAXX
GY Wrangler Duratrac

H3 is my daily driver and I will take it to some off-roads (occasionally). I need something which will:
  • Look aggressive
  • Ride smooth on freeways (I can tolerate li'l noise)
  • Perform well in rain/snow/ice (I hate this weather, but can't help)

I know I've mixed apples and oranges, but so far I've read awesome reviews for STT, MAXX and Duratrac.

I like STT PRO and Grabber because of their aggressive looks. Now STT PRO being new, I don't get enough review but I am guessing it will be as awesome as STT.

I like Duratrac but it has 2 ply sidewall and that reminds me my present situation.

And got mixed feeling about ST MAXX.

Can you please advice me with your opinion/experience.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:00 PM
rsc

Those are good tires you have picked out. I would have to pick the STT Pro. I had the Duratracs before and Kelly Safari TSR now, love them both. The Kelly's tread is a bit more open, similar to the STT Pro. I like the siping that comes on the STT Pro now, and the new tread looks like the modern computer designed treads.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:57 PM

Thanks RSC...
Even I am leaning towards STT PRO. Only thing I am concerning is how it will perform snow and ice.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 AM
rsc

All I can say is that the Kelly's have performed even better in show and ice than the Duratracs did, work better in mud, do not trap the little pea-sized gravel in the tread and did not squirm in corners for the first 10k miles. Its the same carcass, just a different tread but it made a big difference.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:05 AM
rsc

And just to really mess with your decision process, the STT Pro comes in a 37" tire if you are willing to switch to 17" rims and a 1" body lift or the 4" Rancho lift. ;P

Old 10-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Not on your list, but worth looking at another Cooper Family..... Mickey Thompson ATZs or MTZ P3s.

I run 305 MTZs, wide as the 315, but 33.1" instead of 34.5", go everywhere that 35s can, and does not cut the ***** off the I5s performance.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM

I have the duratracs. Live in Wyoming, they have lasted me 4yrs so far. Very good tread life, sound great on the highway, although after several years of off-roading they have become slightly noisy. Very rugged terrain here and up until recently got my first puncture on top. Repaired tire and back on the road. You will get the bang for your buck with the Duratrac and I hear the Goodyear has a new tire out similar to the duratrac that is even better. Also - been very good in snow drifts and have lifted me out several times.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:12 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman
I have the duratracs. Live in Wyoming, they have lasted me 4yrs so far. Very good tread life, sound great on the highway, although after several years of off-roading they have become slightly noisy. Very rugged terrain here and up until recently got my first puncture on top. Repaired tire and back on the road. You will get the bang for your buck with the Duratrac and I hear the Goodyear has a new tire out similar to the duratrac that is even better. Also - been very good in snow drifts and have lifted me out several times.
A new Duratrac replacement? Are you referring to the Fierce Attitude? Its labeled as a MT but looks more streetable than most mud tires.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:48 PM

Might be the fierce attitude. Tire I am describing is in the Wrangler product line and has inherited the same sidewall protection pattern that is on the duratrac. Someone here just got them installed last month, so I will see if I can get the make. Like to hear how they compare to the duratrac as these will need to be replaced in the coming future.

Last edited by Mr_Sandman; 10-14-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
And just to really mess with your decision process, the STT Pro comes in a 37" tire if you are willing to switch to 17" rims and a 1" body lift or the 4" Rancho lift. ;P
Well, that sounds intimating but that will make a hole li'l bigger in my pocket. In future definitely I want to go that route.

Quick Reply: Need advise for new tires...