PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Navigation is not automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Default Navigation is not automatic?

I've asked this before but I realized that I didn't really get an answer... I'm confused about the built in navigation on the 2006 H3.

Can someone just tell me: do you have to manually position where you are, or does it just KNOW where you are? Because mine does NOT know where I am. Shouldn't there just be a BUTTON somewhere that you can press to activate the GPS to see where you're positioned? Because as far as I can see, the only way to do this is to manually position yourself by calibrating it, which is really stupid. When you do try to calibrate, you have to find exactly where you are and if you position it even a tiny bit to the left or right angle of a street (it doesn't even "lock on" to streets) then eventually, it'll just go off course.

I've had my H3 for a month and still haven't been able to play with the Navi because it won just tell me where I am!

Even $150 handheld GPS's at BestBuy tell you where you are automatically!

Also there is a DVD disc update for my H3 but it's 199$.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Navigation is not automatic?

You'll want to go into the set-up and make sure you have the right region designated. I don't remember off the top of my headso I'll have to go and look for sure how to get to it. If you can't figure it out, just let me know and I'll go out and take a few notes and post.

When updates are on DVD,they are always way behind. Where I live there has been a lot of construction.. just in the last year and I was driving in an open field the other day according to the nav.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Hey Hearseman,

Well when I first asked this question, that's what was suggested to me, but I am set to the right region (Theres only 3, Canada, western USA and eastern USA) and it's set to Canada. I just don't understand how neither the hardware nor the software has a button that will just tell you where you are.

Hearseman do you have to manually set your position on yours? I.E. calibrating it?

So far I'm really not impressed with the navi... at least it looks cool................

Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Let me take a look and see. My Hummer didn't come with Nav.. I got mine from Craigs list and installed it. I had to do some setup so let me look at what I did. Calibration doesn't do much from what I could tell.

The only other thing that might be a problem is not getting a clear satelite signal. On the upper left corner under the compass do you have a little box that has a red "GPS" in it. From what I've read, that actually means it is NOT picking up a signal (opposite of logic I know...).I also understand that the nav unit does not use GPS full time. It uses vehicle telemetry inputs to drive you along and just pickes up the GPS to position itself. If you've to the GPS showing, you're not getting a clear signal and that could be doing it. Under heavy cloud cover it could be having a problem. The antenna is under the dash also so you can't have anything on the dash, especially metal.... of course if you didn't have an antenna installed that might be the problem.

I'll play and PM you anthing else I can come up with.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:35 PM

... so region does NOTHING for real time navigation from what I can tell. It just narrows the selection of addresses and point of interests. I set mine to Canada on the way to get my pizza and it made no difference but couldn't find my local city. Interesting that you have only 3 choices on region though. I've got 9, Canada being an entire region but 8 US regions. Apparently we have different versions. I think mine is the 2006 version.

It seems like I recall having a similar issue when I first got mine but can't recall what I did to correct it. I do know that if you touch the screen and move the cursor around and get off of the current position it won't match up until you hit the NAV button and it brings you back to current location.

Your cables might not be totally connected. You might want to pull it out and make sure everything is snugg... or there at all. With the nav you should have a small square green cable connector, and 2 others. Make sure you have the green one and its connected. .. while you're in there ... it'd be AWESOME if you could take a pic of where that satelite antenna goes. Just follow the foam covered wire on that green connector.I just found a place and screwed it in but I don't think its the factory location and couldn't find anywhere a pic of where it actually belongs. One of the other connectors is the vehicle sensor connector.That one you need too so that it "moves" you.

There is a reset defaults in the setting menu. You might also want to give that a shot.

That's about all I can think of.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Hey Hearseman,

Okay, I checked it out and I actually do have 9 regions, sorry about that.

I took some pics for you. Sorry about the quality but it's night and they were taken with my cell phone. The first pic is what I see when I "pop out" the navi by holding down the eject button (for like 20 seconds). This is a factory navigation.. I don't see any green cables, is this what you meant? The second picture shows that it does in fact say "GPS" in red in the corner, and come to think of it, I think it's always said that! So that must be the problem then?

I'm not really sure what you mean by antenna, because the only antenna I see is a little one on the roof. I'm assuming this is the GPS antenna? I've attached a pic.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 AM

I too installed an OEM NAV. It was used and would not work until a tech cleared the "Stolen" code using his Tech II tool. He was also kind enough to program the location for me. I live in Ohio but my NAV thought it was in California!!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Okay,

Should I take it to a Hummer dealer? I have the Luxury package so the nav came with my hummer - would this be covered by warranty?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: iPhone

Okay,

Should I take it to a Hummer dealer? I have the Luxury package so the nav came with my hummer - would this be covered by warranty?
I would think so.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Hey Hearseman,

Okay, I checked it out and I actually do have 9 regions, sorry about that.

I took some pics for you. Sorry about the quality but it's night and they were taken with my cell phone. The first pic is what I see when I "pop out" the navi by holding down the eject button (for like 20 seconds). This is a factory navigation.. I don't see any green cables, is this what you meant? The second picture shows that it does in fact say "GPS" in red in the corner, and come to think of it, I think it's always said that! So that must be the problem then?

I'm not really sure what you mean by antenna, because the only antenna I see is a little one on the roof. I'm assuming this is the GPS antenna? I've attached a pic.
The antenna is actually back behind the radio, hiding inside the dash. The one on the roof is for XM and OnStar. I'm sure the dealer can get this all sorted out for you. Its probably just something simple and we'll all say a big D'Oh about. From what Vader is saying... there must be something else to it if he had his thinking he was in Cali.

hmmmmm Don't know...

Quick Reply: Navigation is not automatic?