PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My weekend project

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 AM
Default RE: My weekend project

SWEET Impy!!! But now people will be peeing in the pool all the time from the waterfall noise!!![8D]

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 AM

that's ok, my pool is salt water so they can pee away....lol. It's great I never need to buy chemicals for the pool, just dump salt in it every year and the filter turns the salt into chlorine.

I have the 4 medium sized (4-8") goldfish in there and two other black fish that I have no idea what they are. They were all living in my brothers pond when we filled it in, so I took them.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 AM

Very COOL!!!

I've never heard of a saltwater pool before??

Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

I've never heard of a saltwater pool before??
X2, do you have any corrosion problems?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 AM

it's not a salt water pool really, there is no taste or smell of salt. The filter has a thing connected to it called a chlorinator... I googled to look for a better explanation and found this for you:

Ocean water has a salt content of around 35,000 parts per million ("ppm"). Humans have a salt taste threshold of around 3,500 ppm. Most chlorine generators require a salt content of 2500 - 6000 ppm in the pool. A unit that needs less than 3500 ppm to operate effectively is optimal. If the salt content is higher, that warm, salty water will be pretty distasteful!
Swimming in a mild saline solution is much like taking a shower in soft water. Generally, when people swim in a non-chlorine generator pool (a pool with no salt water in it) they feel like their skin dries quicker upon exiting the pool. They may feel and/or see a whitish residual, chlorine flaking, on the skin. In a salt-water pool (one with a chlorine generator) the water feels smooth, your skin feels smooth and many people feel more refreshed.
What Does a Chlorine Generator Do?
A chlorine generator's main function is to produce chlorine for the pool so you do not have to buy it, store it or handle it. These are big advantages for many pool owners. Chlorine generators, when functioning correctly, produce chlorine constantly (when the pump is running) with most units. This keeps a residual of chlorine in the pool that prevents algae from growing. The secret is keeping the cell free of calcium and mineral deposits--the cell itself is made up of precious metals-it must be maintained so it can continue to make chlorine.
Through the process of electrolysis, water passing over the chlorine generator cell produces chlorine that is instantaneously transformed into Hypochlorous acid. When any type of chlorine is added to water it ALL makes the SAME thing: Hypochlorous acid. It does not matter if it is Sodium Hypochlorite (liquid chlorine), Tri-chlor and Di-chlor or Lithium based, Cal-hypo or even gas chlorine--it all makes Hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is the active sanitizer; this is what kills algae and other harmful stuff in the water. Its effectiveness is totally predicated on balanced water conditions and, more importantly, proper pH. So, with a salt water system or chlorine generator, you still must maintain your water balance (pool chemistry) properly. As long as you do this, a chlorine generator is a good choice.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 PM

My neighbour has one of those pools, very nice to swim and pee in!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 PM

do you still have to drain it over the winter, or does it not freeze?

Old 05-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Good question Zach!!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM

you never drain a vinyl liner pool....draining will make the walls collapse, it uses the pressure of the water to maintain it's shape.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 PM

interesting, does it freeze ove winter?

Quick Reply: My weekend project