PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My PCMforless experience at their shop.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Default My PCMforless experience at their shop.

I have been considering a tune on my 2008 3.7 liter for a while and have done a lot of research on this and other Hummer forums. I previously installed a Magnaflow Catback exhaust and an Airdoc intake with a K&N filter. I decided to compete the trilogy with a tune. I am about 2 hours and 20 minutes away from their shop in Mooresville, NC. Instead of sending mine in, I decided to drive down and get in tuned there. What a wonderful experience. I was greeted by Alvin who is their tuner. A Mechancal Engineer by training and an obvious gearhead by choice. First he took his laptop and read my PCM. I had already completed the informaton sheet and he made the changes. The great thing about taking it there, we went for a test drive and did futher tweaking until I was completely satisfied and the numbers he was looking for were perfect. We would stop, he would make a change and then do futher road testing until we got it exactly what I wanted. What a difference in throttle response and driveability. On the return trip there is a 7 mile mountain on the interstate which the vehicle has normally downshifted to 3rd gear while running at 3300 RPM. After the tune on the return trip, the H3 climbed the mountain in Overdrive at 2200 RPM. It only went out of Overdrive twice, each time for about 5 seconds. This is with the cruise contol set at 65 MPH. I didn't do it to increase fuel mileage, but I did see a slight increase on the return trip. When I decide to go lighter on the skinny pedal, I do expect a 1-2 mpg increase. My conclusion is a pcmforless tune is worth it and if you are in driving distance, make an appointment an go to their shop and get it done. Either way, just do it. I have never seen anyone who regretted it.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 04-17-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 AM

Very cool! Thanks for the report. We hear about folks' bad experiences on the forum so often, it's nice to hear feedback when someone does a great job.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks RK. Now I'm gonna bug Alvin and Kelly to add AirDoc Intakes to their drill down order list since they have now seen one and know what it does! KUDOs brud.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

thanks for that reports it's nice to hear feedback when someone does a great job.