PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My new venture(s) (get some coffee)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My new venture(s) (get some coffee)

Here is part one of the problems....

I cannot get the latest drivers because Nvidia says that I have to use Sony.... YET... Sony says nothing is available.

I would gladly give you TWO XP Home Keys that I own.... for one XP Pro disc.... I have a key... I own at least 6 licenses... I started buy stuff instead of stealing it... for the last year I've only downloaded stuff to see if I would like it.... and then buy it...

NOW... going back to what you said.... it doesn't matter what I disable.... once the CPU usage goes over 2gb the game dumps....

This machine was built in Jan... and I bought it in March...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats HG. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what I have:

XP Home SP1
XP Home SP2
XP Pro
XP Pro SP2

I also have a few diff versions of 2000 and 98. These are all full retail and corporate versions, and not some hacked-up torrent copy.

I may have XP Pro SP1, but not sure. I have licenses as well but somewhere along the past couple of years lost track of what numbers go to what OS version. One of the reasons I was going to stick with XP was because this computer I was given this weekend has a XP Home license, but even though I told him how fast it was, he still gave it to me since he bought his kids a new one. We have corporate site licenses for everything but we only have the business Vista, so I want to try it out before I buy my own copy. I'm like you. I find a working version and if it works I buy the whole thing. I've already spent over $200 in the past couple of months on specialized software.

JESUS I have to stop with these book posts. WTF is wrong with me?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks 3hummers. If I don't go into online retail, I have a few other ideas for the site as well. Either way, I own the domian and soon the business name and can turn it into whatever I want.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

If you need a vista home premium key I will share.... because let's be honest.... if I can't get mygames to work on this I am going to format the HDD and install XP....

Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

I've done it MANY times. There is nothing worse then going to a new OS and realizing either you have no driver support or your games run ****ty and the card maker says you have to get your drivers from the computer manufacturer. That's what happened when DX 9 first came out. It actually slowed more vid cards down then sped them up, and you ended up doing countless registry hacks and third-party DX uninstallers to go back to DX8. It was a nightmare.

Vista was supposed to be this God-send for gamers and everybody talks about how great DX10 is, but you are screwed with games that require DX10 because it's not available for XP, and now DX 10.1 is out with Vista SP1. It also took vid card manufacturers ATI, nVidea, etc. how long to make DX 10 Vista drivers?

Anyway, make sure your games don't require DX10 before you go back to XP, or games you want to purchase don't require it. I THINK Gears of War and Crysisfor the PC might. Not 100% sure though.

I don't have Vista Home, just the 32 and 64-bit versions of the Business edition, which is probably more powerful then I need. Just PM me and we can work it out.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe I can just parition this and run dual systems..... and that settles a few issues...

I do have a 320gb HDD.....

Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I have Partition Magic 8 if you want it. It's supposed to work with Vista, but some people have issues with it. If I were you, I'd TRY to get XP working on it first, then use PM8 to create a second NTFS partition for Vista, and then use that second one for the install. Then when Vista does it's wonderful NTFS upgrade, you won't have to worry about it not working. PM8 seems to have a 50% success rate with Vista. As long as your HD isn'g encrypted with some high-level security, you should be able to resize your existing partition, but I'm not 100% sure if you can with my version.

Do you have partitioning software?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, here's a thread I found, actually on accident

http://www.vistax64.com/general-disc...processes.html

I was looking for 64-bit Vista performance issues with older chipsets and ironically ran across this thread.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

hmmm..... I read that.....I have 75 processes using 1.1gb

Quick Reply: My new venture(s) (get some coffee)