PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My new venture(s) (get some coffee)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default My new venture(s) (get some coffee)

Scratch all this. Here's my plan:

Wait for FBI Job

Look for new job in meantime

Work on site making some nice $$

More work=less time.

The cliffnotes version

Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My new venture(s) (get some coffee)

One more thing. Thursday is the day I'm making a definite decision on the business. I took the day off and have some calls set up to find out if this is too much for me to handle on my own and how much risk in involved. It may not even be worth it. If not, you guys will probably see more of me, so put your reading glasses on.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM

Well damn that was long

Good luck, have Patience with the FBI thing. Nothing with the Government moves fast. GS-13? That's a hell of a starting position, congrats if you get it.

Keep us updated and I wish you luck in all of it. Your personnel life has to be first, don't sweat it.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have two zombies at home that would test games for you.... ages 7 and 10.... Nintendo DS

in all seriousness.... Trey and his wife are also big gamers... She has the Wii and he has the Xbox....

on a side note.... if you can figure out how I can play Sid Meier's Railroads on vista without the crashing I would rub your feet.... I did the editbin to allow the system to use more than 2gb and that didn't work... I can't seem to find any new drivers for my craptop so I guess I have the latest...

I realize I have a crappy laptop...WindowsVista Home Premium32bit T8100 @ 2.10ghz.... with 4gb ram.... and an nvidia 8600m gt 512mb video card..... but I should be able to play a 4 year old $19.99 game....

Hugs and Kisses
Stan

Old 03-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Yes! I didn't know the different grades of security clearance until I talked to someone who used to be in the organization that actually carried the higher grades. After he explained it, I realized what kind of responsibility it was, but still, life isn't going to hand you anything. I figure if it means giving up some things in my personal life to persue something that will change my life for the better then I'm willing to do that.

The game business may be a bit too much though. Once you start selling things that can be taxed, it's a whole other ball game, and I don't know if I'm ready for that. I'll find out this week.

I consider all of you my friends and this is the only reason I'd take the time to explain myself, even though I don't have to and some don't care, I still do it. I value my friendships very highly, which is why I get too personal sometimes on here.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

does that mean you can fix my game?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well, keep in mind this will be selling product like ebgames.com and so forth, only requiring a membership like Sam's. The "testing" phase I'm talking about is the actual ordering and shipping process, as well as the link from my provider to the credit card companies. I'm using prostores.com which is a company that manages your e-business for you. It requires little-to-no web site authoring experience. It's going to start off by referrel only, so in order to have a membership, which will allow you to buy games at a flat fee of $49.99 with free shipping (hopefully ) you have to be a member and have a referrel from an existing member in order to be a part of the site. This is how I plan on controlling the initial flow of orders. You'll see the other parts when it happens. There's alot more, but the plan is eventually to have a fully interactive site where you, the consumer, control the prices by a voting system. In theory, it's a little complicated but if I get it all working, it's going to be something that nobody else has or does and I'm hoping will blow up.

That being said, a Powerhouse of a laptop means nothing with sh1tty software running it, a.k.a. Vista. I am putting together a new computer at home as we speak (another project) and even though I have a full licensed version of Vista Business, I'm going back to XP. I have Vista. The people that don't have issues with it are the people that only us it for the internet and Word. Good luck getting games and any other kind of specialized apps working with it. [:@]

Are you running the 64-bit version of Vista or the 32-bit? I would bet it's 64 if it keeps crashing the games.

I spent my Saturday troubleshooting Vista on two NEW computers which it came installed on. I set them up literally two weeks ago, brand new out of the box, and they already had issues, one of which the Control Panel icons dissappeared. You know what the fix is? You have to fill out a Hotfix request form on MS's web site, they email you the link to download the hotfix, and then you have 7 days to install it before the password to the hotfix exe expires. They promise to email you the download link within 8 hours of submission.

That's how they make you fix a very common bug with their system these days that isn't security-related. Nice.....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

I built my own computers for years.... and this one has me beat.... but yeah.... I never had an issue with XP... but I damaged my XPdisc and don't feel like doing the torrent stuff anymore...

it's 32 bit.... not 64..... the problem happens when I hit over 2gb of ram being used.... it crashes ANYTHING using more than 2gb..... like I said.... I did the editbin largeadressaware but yet that didn't work....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

and what about doing somethinglike woot does.... One day one deal.....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

After I posted that response, I realize I meant to type "I hate Vista" rather then "I have Vista" After thinking about it though, you made me realize I need Vista or else I'll never learn the damn thing in and out like I know XP. Thanks, I think

I have the 64 and 32 bit versions as well but I'm trying to figure out if the 64 bit version will run on what I have. I seriously doubtit.

If you need XP, well, ya know.........

Did you:

- Update the system BIOS to the latest version?
- Try both the Laptop manufacturer's OEM video drivers as well as nVidia's drivers (sometimes the OEM drivers for the laptop are different then what nVidia supplies as default)
-Dig around and see if they actually have a video card Bios update (some of the older ATI cards used to have video card Bios updates as well as driver updates, not sure about nVidia though)
- Verify you have the latest version of DirectX?
- Disable write-caching temporarily?
- Disable on-demand virus scanner temporarily?
- Update your on-board sound card drivers?
- Verify your sound and video card/chips are on Microsoft's HCL (Hardware Compatbility list)?: http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
- The sound and video chip/card drivers are MS Vista Certified? If not, they can cause crashes with older XP/2000 Legacy software
- If not, are there MS Vista certified HCL drivers available, ie: nVidia MS Certified drivers versus whatever the newer drivers are? Back in "the day" they would have the newest ones, and the MS Certified version, which were more compatible at the loss of performance.

Just a few suggestions You are talking to a former PC gamer and overclocking guru, so I know a bit about pc's and games

Quick Reply: My new venture(s) (get some coffee)