PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My New/Old car

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default My New/Old car

My uncle has a 1980 Firebird V6 that he wants to get rid of. He spent alot of time working on restoring the body but is just getting older and worn out with this project. He was going to junk it and ironically I asked him about it right before he made that decision. Anyway, here are some pics:

Before and After:

The engine is fine, but it needs a new brake system (lines and master cylinder mainly) and new ball joints and tie rods. He found an entire front end kit new for $400 that comes with everything for the job.

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying to restore? He already replaced the floorboards on the chasis with new ones, but he says he doesn't trust the frame. I'm trying to find out what he meant by that.

Does anybody know how much it costs to get the bottom of a frame or car like this sandblasted and sealed/undercoated? replaced pretty much the entire body. He found old panels that were in good shape and just redid them with Bondo. I don't know much about body restoration but I know I can handle the mechanical stuff.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Default RE: My New/Old car

I have a 69 in my brothers garage with a 66 GTO Motor 400 pushing over a little more then 600hp. Its black with a 6 pack too.
Yours look nice he did do a lot of body work. Congrats

Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Here is what my ultimate goal would be, one of these two:

The original factory color/body:

OR,

BumbleBee from the new Transformers Movie:

Name:  transformer11.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  88.0 KB

Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dilo2001gt

I have a 69 in my brothers garage with a 66 GTO Motor 400 pushing over a little more then 600hp. Its black with a 6 pack too.
Yours look nice he did do a lot of body work. Congrats
Thanks. I haven't taken it YET. I'm not sure if I should. If the chasis is rusting, is it possible to save it? I know there are places that sandblast the chasis and put a new coat of whatever under it to stop it from rusting. I know nothing about these kind of cars. I have only worked on cars later then '85 to '89.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I think you can get everything for that car right down to replacement paint for the orginally torque stripes at Classic Industries...

It's worth it if you have a place to keep it so that it doesn't get rusty....

Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 PM

kul

Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 PM

Go for the Camaro! I have a '67 Camaro, an '81 Z28, and a '97 Camaro, and they are all fun to drive! But maybe your uncle will give you a sweet deal on the Firebird, so it's worth checking out!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:54 PM

It's your call, but I'm not fond of that particularyear of vehicle manufacture myself. Now, if it was a late '60s GTO, a '69 Camaro, late '60s - early '70s C3 Corvette, a '71 'cuda, oreven a '77 ('Smokey & The Bandit' era) Trans Am...

Name:  1977PontiacFirebirdTransAm.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  60.8 KB

...vehicles which I'd considerworthwhile'sinking' some money into...depending upon their condition of course, then that would certainly be a totally different story. No offense, but with an '80 V6 Pontiac 'Firebird', all you'll have is an older Pontiac...good luck with your decision. Name:  cool_smiley2.gif
Views: 20
Size:  1,017 Bytes

Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. That's why I'm debating it. I could drop a V8 in there, but I don't think the chasis could handle it. He actually has a pile of new parts from Classic Industries, like the door handles and trim and all that, but if the frame is rusting, it's not worth it. That's all I need is to fall through the floor

Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I agree. That's why I'm debating it. I could drop a V8 in there, but I don't think the chasis could handle it. He actually has a pile of new parts from Classic Industries, like the door handles and trim and all that, but if the frame is rusting, it's not worth it. That's all I need is to fall through the floor
Yeah, I agree with you too...I'd also pass, especially if there is any substantial amount of 'body rot'. I once had a '63 VW convertible bug which I had a lot of fun in during my 'younger days'. The day I sold it was the day the floorjack went right through the subframe and floor whilst trying to 'change-out'a flat tire. Name:  0c19bddb.gif
Views: 18
Size:  1.2 KB

Quick Reply: My New/Old car