PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM

I personally don't like the look of it. And i also don't see the function of it.
I totally understand your reason for adding that piece though. One thing to keep in mind is that car manufacturers have facilities where they spend millions of dollars per day, engineering every aspect of there cars.
Adding that guard will definetely protect the occupants of your car at low speed. But any real crash at a decent speed, and the occupants will take the brute of the beating.
Instead of your frame crumpling in the crumple zone (thus protecting the occupants), your body will be thrusted forward or backward depending on the accident MUCH harder than without that guard.
To all there own

Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM

Thats where the seat belts and all those airbags come in. I don't feel safe with the "crumple zone". That only means, more steel is coming towards you!

Last edited by hummerz; 02-06-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
wow! fantastic job. sounds like you are outnumbered on that forum huh?
what gives?
hope you don't mind me saving pix!!
Save away... There's more on the interwebs and some videos on youtube...

Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by V8-H3
Yeah I was just joking around but as a fellow Vette owner what would ever possess to do that to your poor car. That's just wrong.
Haha... I did it to gain attention to the cause of LIBERTY and the only candidate who truly understands what that means... I sure don't regret it and hey, the wrap can be peeled off whenever I like (so far I still enjoy driving it around and hopefully getting others to think about what a mistake they made in 2012!!)

Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Some data regarding crash testing...

Frontal crash tests

"Small overlap frontal crashes primarily affect a vehicle's outer edges, which aren't well protected by the crush-zone structures. Crash forces go directly into the front wheel, suspension system and firewall. It is not uncommon for the wheel to be forced rearward into the footwell, contributing to even more intrusion in the occupant compartment and resulting in serious leg and foot injuries. To provide effective protection in small overlap crashes, the safety cage needs to resist crash forces that aren't tempered by crush-zone structures. Widening these front-end structures also would help."

I'm just doing what they say here - widening the front-end structures to help in the small overlap crashes...

Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 PM

I searched for crush zone trucks, nothing. I went to crush zone. they talked about cars, no mention of trucks. on that site I searched trucks, nothing.
I don't think they think crush zone in trucks huh.
I still like your vette!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Thats where the seat belts and all those airbags come in. I don't feel safe with the "crumple zone". That only means, more steel is coming towards you!

modern vehicle that is not the case, that is the point of crumple zones, it forces the energy and impact around the cabin, which is why in a high speed front end collision the engine, suspension, and entire front structure is forced down and under the cabin. As seen in these pics from the IIHS, that was a massive front end collision, but the cabin is virtually untouched, except from the damage of the air bags deploying.

Attached Thumbnails My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!-h3-crash.jpg   My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!-h3-crash-2.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM

"and entire front structure is forced down and under the cabin"

I wonder how much crush zone went into the hummer design. I notice that the floorboard is above the frame and separate from it. also I still need to use a step to step up to get in and the seat is well above the floor.with 33 in tires my seat is 36 inchs up from ground.
I had cars that I could open the door and touch the ground while sitting up.
the pictures look much like I guess they would of a 50's era chevy pickup!
the frame doesn't give much,never did,just the light stuff around it.

the crash pix look much like crash pix forever.

Last edited by happythree; 02-07-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by staggs
modern vehicle that is not the case, that is the point of crumple zones, it forces the energy and impact around the cabin, which is why in a high speed front end collision the engine, suspension, and entire front structure is forced down and under the cabin. As seen in these pics from the IIHS, that was a massive front end collision, but the cabin is virtually untouched, except from the damage of the air bags deploying.
Great pictures of a full front on impact !! Of course I've tried to make it clear that my bumper is for additional protection in an impact that only affects the small area outside of the frame member. I've never doubted the ability of an H3 to absorb a full frontal impact pretty darn well. In fact that's exactly why I bought it! Studies have shown, however, that an impact outside of the frame member does not have good protection as there is virtually NO structure outside of the frame attachment points that will absorb anything other than the front tire and front suspension. THAT is what my bumper is supposed to protect.

Anyway, I'm glad that there's so much interest in this subject as I find it interesting and hopefully there will be greater improvement in passenger protection in the future.