PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM

I'm a little more worried about your driving from the sound of things.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist
. I would think a 30 mpg impact with a tree will bend my bumper back to the tire and maybe into the rubber. I believe that a 60 mpg impact that would prove fatal without this bumper will be survivable and that is what I designed it for.

Also any impact greater than 30 will no doubt also damage the frame at the attachment point and require expensive restoration to specs.
I don't think you understand how collisions and modern vehicles work. They're not supposed to be that solid. Vehicles are built with crumple zones throughout the entire vehicle, no matter how big or thick your bumper is, the frame will still crumple. Also, by having a solid structure in front you may also kill someone else in a collision, while isn't a bad thing if the wreck is not your fault, but if you are the fault of a collision and a death happened or even extensive damage, your insurance could actually not cover it and drop you instead.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by staggs
I don't think you understand how collisions and modern vehicles work. They're not supposed to be that solid. Vehicles are built with crumple zones throughout the entire vehicle, no matter how big or thick your bumper is, the frame will still crumple. Also, by having a solid structure in front you may also kill someone else in a collision, while isn't a bad thing if the wreck is not your fault, but if you are the fault of a collision and a death happened or even extensive damage, your insurance could actually not cover it and drop you instead.
Today, vehicles are built light, to increase fuel economy! Insurance companies would support mods that prevent damage to the vehicle, causing less out of pocket expense to repair your vehicle. Your insurance company is not going to drop you for that. They may drop you if you modify your ride to make it more at a risk for damage, but not if you make it more safe.
Ever heard the term: "twisted steel" in a collision? Get hit head on, the front bumper bends in, because of the light weight steel, then pulls the frame in with it. Bottom line, your rig would have less damage with a stronger bumper, and yes, the stronger bumper would lower the mpg's.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Yes, I looked at those but found them to be ineffective in a collision. They will, of course provide some protection but not much as the area of impact with the tree is about 10" above the bumper attachment point and will bend back at the weak point right above the attachment bolts. Most of the tubing used is relatively thin and I wanted something stronger. I originally wanted my bumper to be completely made of 1/4" steel but we went with 3/16 plate with 1/4" stringer bracing welded behind the entire length right under the lower attachment bolt. It will take a very serious impact to bend my bumper. I estimate that impacts under 10 mpg will show no damage or perhaps a very slight bend. I would think a 30 mpg impact with a tree will bend my bumper back to the tire and maybe into the rubber. I believe that a 60 mpg impact that would prove fatal without this bumper will be survivable and that is what I designed it for.

Also any impact greater than 30 will no doubt also damage the frame at the attachment point and require expensive restoration to specs.
MPG= Miles per GALLON
MPH= Miles per HOUR

I know what you meant, just wanted to correct you, because of my post, that extra weight lowers your fuel economy, well worth it, because that looks good to me. I hope you didn't buy that H3 for fuel economy! I know I didn't.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:11 PM

You do know that any "tree" hit with the front of the HUMMER above will push the OEM BG into the grill and hood before it makes contact with your cow pusher.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM

I think the "crumple " is designed into unibody cars but not into full frame trucks. but face it, if you hit anything there will be damage. I wonder how strong the bumper needs to be to prevent bending into the wheel area?
I think VERY tough with 5000 pounds behind it.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
You do know that any "tree" hit with the front of the HUMMER above will push the OEM BG into the grill and hood before it makes contact with your cow pusher.
Sure I know it. I did not put that grill guard on there, it came with the vehicle. The purpose of my super bumper is not to protect any plastic or sheet metal on the vehicle. Its to protect the precious life inside of the vehicle (I'm thinking mainly of my wife since my life isn't all that "precious"...). Here's the thinking behind my bumper. Any impact that is only a glancing blow to the front of ANY of the newer cars results in the entire impact (after crushing some flimsy plastic) to be taken by the front tire. That impact breaks the front suspension loose but usually stays attached to the frame and pivots back and up into the floorboards of the passenger compartment. If on the driver's side, this also can result in the steering column being pushed out of alignment with the driver and causing the airbag to deploy off center. All of this together results in extreme injury or death. My bumper is there to take the initial impact and expend some of that energy in "bending" my bumper so that there's less energy left to drive the wheel up into the passenger compartment...

Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by V8-H3
I'm a little more worried about your driving from the sound of things.

Let's see, in 47 years of driving I've had about 3 little fender benders (in my early days before I learned to watch my surroundings) and ONE accident in deep snow and ice when I slid into a ditch and caused a big repair bill to my little LeBaron convertible (that car was AWFUL in snow). I've lived in Alaska, driven in China (have a current Chinese DL) and on the Autobahn... I'll put my driving record up against anyone who wants to compare.

But I'm sure your comment was tounge-in-cheek and I admit that my desire for extra front end protection sounds suspicious, but I'm mainly concerned about my wife's driving ability and I bought this big heavy tank to keep her safe. I prefer to drive my Corvette (and it has pretty much zero protection in any kind of accident...)
Hey Guys... Here's my RON PAUL corvette !! - Corvette Forum

Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 02-06-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 AM

wow! fantastic job. sounds like you are outnumbered on that forum huh?
what gives?
hope you don't mind me saving pix!!

Old 02-06-2014, 04:15 PM

Let's see, in 47 years of driving I've had about 3 little fender benders (in my early days before I learned to watch my surroundings) and ONE accident in deep snow and ice when I slid into a ditch and caused a big repair bill to my little LeBaron convertible (that car was AWFUL in snow). I've lived in Alaska, driven in China (have a current Chinese DL) and on the Autobahn... I'll put my driving record up against anyone who wants to compare.

But I'm sure your comment was tounge-in-cheek and I admit that my desire for extra front end protection sounds suspicious, but I'm mainly concerned about my wife's driving ability and I bought this big heavy tank to keep her safe. I prefer to drive my Corvette (and it has pretty much zero protection in any kind of accident...)
Hey Guys... Here's my RON PAUL corvette !! - Corvette Forum
Yeah I was just joking around but as a fellow Vette owner what would ever possess to do that to your poor car. That's just wrong.

Quick Reply: My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!