PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Default My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!

I had a local shop here build me a custom front bumper that I could use to push trees over and he did a fantastic job. I just wanted a piece of 2x4 steel tubing with 1/4" walls, but he instead made this fantastic looking custom front bumper. He really did a great job... He also had the wheels powder coated for me.

If anyone wants to see if he wants to build them one, here's his website (no, I'm not affiliated in any way but I sure am happy he built mine)...

www.vickeryshotrods.com

Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 01-31-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Looks stout but destroys your approach angle.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
Looks stout but destroys your approach angle.
That's true, but if I were doing that radical of off-roading I would be tearing up all that worthless plastic on the front end.

This car is really just our driving around car and the purpose of the bumper was protection in case of a "small overlap" front impact. In many of these types of impact the front wheel is driven up into the passenger compartment and the steering wheel is driven to the center causing the airbag to deploy off center from the driver. Needless to say the injuries sustained in such a crash would be life-threatening. Since this car would be my wife's primary transportation and since I've never been overly thrilled with her driving skills, I wanted to be sure there's additional protection if she were to drive into a tree or telephone pole. I think this bumper would provide that protection and it still looks good.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM

ive often thought of the vulnerable wheels in a crash and thought of a tough/ugly bumper!.
yours is a beaut but I wouldn't want to see the price! the guy really knows his stuff.

oh,her driving skills,,i had one of those. it got scary sometime!

Last edited by happythree; 01-31-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Well............... the important thing is....... you like it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
ive often thought of the vulnerable wheels in a crash and thought of a tough/ugly bumper!.
yours is a beaut but I wouldn't want to see the price! the guy really knows his stuff.

oh,her driving skills,,i had one of those. it got scary sometime!
I really don't think he would charge any more than those other steel bumpers you can find online. Of course I got a "special price"...

Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Well............... the important thing is....... you like it. Thanks for sharing.
I was thinking the same thing...just differently...lol

Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by atvspeed4
I was thinking the same thing...just differently...lol
I guess that I have a different idea of what front end protection is.

Name:  100_2956.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  85.0 KB

Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by Bunger
I guess that I have a different idea of what front end protection is.

Yes, I looked at those but found them to be ineffective in a collision. They will, of course provide some protection but not much as the area of impact with the tree is about 10" above the bumper attachment point and will bend back at the weak point right above the attachment bolts. Most of the tubing used is relatively thin and I wanted something stronger. I originally wanted my bumper to be completely made of 1/4" steel but we went with 3/16 plate with 1/4" stringer bracing welded behind the entire length right under the lower attachment bolt. It will take a very serious impact to bend my bumper. I estimate that impacts under 10 mpg will show no damage or perhaps a very slight bend. I would think a 30 mpg impact with a tree will bend my bumper back to the tire and maybe into the rubber. I believe that a 60 mpg impact that would prove fatal without this bumper will be survivable and that is what I designed it for.

Also any impact greater than 30 will no doubt also damage the frame at the attachment point and require expensive restoration to specs.

Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 02-04-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Well first of all I have no intention of mowing down trees.
My truck is built as a slow speed trail runner and rock crawler, no high speed prerunning or bushwacking for me.

And second, I guess that you are not familiar with the Predator Search & Rescue brushguard on my truck. It's hardly thin walled tubing.

To each his own. Have fun with your bulldozer.

Quick Reply: My New Custom REAL STEEL Front Bumper!!