PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My Journey - Leveled w/ 35's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM

On the plastidip did you use the index cards or just spray on the tire too?
I tried the index cards on my spare but when trying to take index cards out from between wheel and tire it made the paint start to bubble or peel up on the edge of wheel? Any tricks or am I doing something wrong?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by khanson.82
On the plastidip did you use the index cards or just spray on the tire too?
I tried the index cards on my spare but when trying to take index cards out from between wheel and tire it made the paint start to bubble or peel up on the edge of wheel? Any tricks or am I doing something wrong?
Khanson, if you take a look at my build thread I taped off the tire with painters tape and left a very small gap to allow the plasti-dip to actually 'cut' itself.

There's a better way however. I didn't show it in my thread for the lack of pics but on one side I left the actual tires on the truck. Taped off everything around it to protect from overspray, and stuffed plastic grocery bags behind the spokes of the rim to protect the brakes, caliper etc. This way you don't leave marks on the tire nuts when you put them back on(assuming you sprayed them as well) because you never took them off in the first place.

When you've applied all your coats and let it dry just remove the bags from the back of the rim. No over spray, no bubbling.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Another thought on the bubbling...

Make sure the rim you are plasti-dipping is clean before you even begin. I recommend wiping them down with a 50% rubbing alcohol-water solution right before spraying just to make sure the surface is contaminant free. Mine have held up for 5 months now.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM

Cool, yea i cleaned them really good I just though it was maybe the way my tire and wheel met.My tire almost seems to come over the lip of my wheel. 35" nitto w/16in cepek.I also had my tire off when doing this. Ill probably give it another shot as it looked killer, but wasnt sure how it would work for me around the edges of the wheel..I'll try taping it off next time and see if it fixes my issues.
Thanks,

Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Looks really sweet. The only suggestion I would make would be to blacken the chrome grill. I like chrome but the color of your rig and the way you have it set up, I think it would make it even more sweeter. Just my 2 1/2 cents... Good job though..

Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Found out my mistake. In reading dip your car website everyone says to remove tape or index cards when paint is still very wet/thick or what I'm describing will happen.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM

I am planning on dipping my wheels this weekend, only problem i have no room in the garage and its around -5 celcuis outside. Will the paint bubble? Will it stand up to always being wet in snow and minus tempatures?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM

I'm very interested in how plastidip holds up in the snow?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Why does everyone else's plastidip hold up but mine, there was a drop of oil spilled on my grill last oil change, that ate it off, the trail brush scratches my gas cap and emblems, any time someone lifts my hood there's a new nick out of the grill edge...not pleased with plasti-dip at all...I don't have a better solution yet, so I just keep re-applying

Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 AM

Great looking hummer. Love the nittos

Quick Reply: My Journey - Leveled w/ 35's.