PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My H3 is so plastic!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Default My H3 is so plastic!

Recently I've really begun to notice just how plastic my H3 seems to be. I still love it, but I'm surprised at all the plastic. In the past month the following plastic components have broken:

- Chrome grill (although this is a result of hitting a stop sign so it's understandable but disappointing)
- OEM Navigation: When I held eject down for 10 seconds to let the nav pop out to get to the DVD area, the plastic that holds the nav in place snapped into several pieces all over me. Luckily this is covered by warranty and I should have it fixed soon.
- Door handle - Part of my door handle broke off. It's the part that does not move (a little chrome "stub").
- The Hummer logo on the rims, the piece that covers the bolts of the wheels are just plastic and VERY easily removed, and could VERY easily be stolen in a parking lot. One of these popped off while I was pressure washing the rims.

Like I said, I love my H3. And I guess you can expect this "plastic" effect from a lot of other vehicles too, but I have to say that I am disappointed.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:48 AM

If you dont want to be disappointed, pay 3 times more and buy a porsche cayenne. but then you cant love that because it has the sex appeal of a came;. its either this or that.

also love my H3 =)

Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 AM

If you think your H3 is plastic, go down to the dealer and sit in a new Camaro! At least its not Tin like a toyota.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 AM

I feel your pain - same thing with the door handle happened to me. Dealer said its common.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Dangle,

Did you dealer tell you if that door handle issue is covered by warranty? I don't really see how it's MY fault that it came off, so I would hope that it's covered.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Plastic is common. It's an effort to reduce weight and improve mileage. It's found in nearly every automobile. My Cadillac is loaded with plastic.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM

I really don't care what its made of as long as it looks good and lasts. There are advantages to plastic over other materials. Some have already been listed.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 AM

I'm actually surprised how well our '06 is holding up, inside and out it still looks new at the 78k mile mark. It also seems like GM did something special to the frame because there's no rust other than on some of the leaf spring bolts.

So far, my dissapointment is that the black paint on the 6-Disc changer radio buttons wears off very quickly. I think GM messed up by not molding the button graphics into the plastic so this wouldn't be an issue.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Dealer took care of it under the warranty - no questions asked.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 AM

having so much plastic in your car makes me feel like I'm putting on a big condom?

Quick Reply: My H3 is so plastic!