PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My first time creek trekking and sand riding... very impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned
Thumbs up My first time creek trekking and sand riding... very impressed!

So yesterday me and the family (wife and 3 kids) plus my cousin all went on a nice trekk thru a creek we know of. There was water ranging from a few inches deep to just under the headlights, as well as lots of holes and slippery slate. My cousin liked the hummer since the day I bought it, and never really questioned it's offroadabilities, but didn't really think it was a super truck or jeep killer so to speak.

I had the truck in 4low the whole time so as to not strain the motor and tax the trans a whole lot, plus crawling over the shale would help prevent undercarriage scrapes as well as shale protruding my wussy factory tires.

The truck went I'd say a mile in the creek one way. From deep water, to unseen holes, climbing up pretty large waterfalls ontop of slipper slate, to slippery sillty bottoms. The truck never so much as struggled, tried, or even worried me. Hell, I even tackled some pretty damn large rocks that I had my doubts about. I only once hit one of my rock sliders off a huge rock I was travelling over, and not once did the tires slip or do something I didn't want them to (in terms of forward momentum anyhow). Keeping in mind, climbing slippery silt covered slate did induce small amounts of sideways travel, but nothing that was out of control or what I wasn't asking of the truck.

The truck is nimble and can go places and straddle objects you wouldn't normally ask a vehicle to do. The brakes in adverse conditions (silt, rock, slate, etc) are amazing! I've never had so much control over my brakes in similar conditions. They are precise and they grab. They leave no room for panic or worry. Need to stop? Slap the brakes!

When we were at the last bend to exit our little creek area, I had my wife hop out and take a video of my going off the rocky perch, into almost-headlight-deep water, and I got a feel of how the truck handles in deep water with layers of silt below it; LIKE A CHAMP! The truck didn't slip or groan, moan or lean. It went down the descent, into the below-headlamp deep water, and crawled up the next rock hill towards freedom. My wife took a video, perhaps I'll post it up on youtube. It's nothing spectacular, I was a baby because nobody came with use so i we ended up "not unstuck", it would be time for a recovery team to come, but it's certainly very neat.

Now on to the sand portion. After our 2-mile creek trek, we decided to check out a popular fishing spot. The only adverse item to this option is you have to go thru either mud when its raining, or deep sand when its hot, to get there.

The latter was true for yesterday. Sand. Deep rutted, sand. I locked the truck in 4hi, and off I went. I'll admit, this is my first time ever going thru sand this deep, and the tires were certainly slipping a touch, but it was a very controlled slip. The truck still went where I wanted, did what I wanted, and it kept on 'a wanting! Granted, when it came time to turn around in the sand, I was in a very tight area. So my turn-around became more of a "donut" than a turn around. The truck basically pivoted on all four tires like a skid-steer, did a very slow donut doing a 360*, and back I went to the main road.

This is about the extent of our "hike", but it was a blast and certainly inspired confidence in my hummer. I was impressed, my wife was impressed, and perhaps more importantly, my chevy-loving cousin was impressed.

Thanks for tuning in folks! See you in Massachusetts!

Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 PM

Sounds like a good time. I'm sure we'd all like to see this video. Post it and let us know.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

Sounds good to me. I'll try uploading it from the wifes phone to youtube.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM

sounds like fun