PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My first Accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Default RE: My first Accident

Yes I have, they are not cheap. Not arguing who's at fault here (sorry buddy lol) or the costs .. I'm simply disagreeing with the resolution to the problem because I think it can invite a lot of additional issues ... If I knew the person I hit I would pay for it out of pocket .. a complete stranger .. not a chance upon gawds green earth .. by the book baby! People are dishonest by nature anytime money is involved .. what is there that says he didn't put that act on to get $ out of you and then turned around and filed a claim too!?It's your thumbs and ultimately your a-hole they end up in if he screws you over .. now prove he received $600 from you .. you can'tunless you have a receipt .. now try to get that money back .. and you'll find yourself in small claims court instead .. by the time that damn crap is over that head light has costed you thousands ... and if he doesn't pay up you have to take him BACK to court ..
Obviously this would be worst case scenario but like I said .. anytime there's money involved I don't put ANYTHING passed people ...

Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I definintely will. My point is that my time and clean driving record is worth more then saving $100 by going through the insurance company. They can't file a claim. I have 5 witnesses that all saw and heard both of them say he was driving with no license or insurance. He is honestly afraid of ME filing a report on him. Why should I go through all that crap for what, so I can get out of paying an extra 100 bux, when I'll have to spend 500 on the insurance and all my time and money working on it, not to mention having that crap on my record? It's not worth it to me.
I agree 100% Mike the insurance will kill you. I think you did the right thing

Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Plus, depending on your insurance company, once an accident report is filed it gets sent to Carfax, if you ever want to sell this will knock money off the amount you can get

Old 03-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

You're right Nick, but let's just hope that doesn't happen. I'm going to make him sign something saying he got the money though. I'm not going to make it that easy.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 PM

Bummer on the fender bender Mike. I think you did the right thing as well be not going through insurance for something like this. It demonstrates taking personal responsibility, and doing the right thing. Chances are, beyond the deductable, your rates would probably increase, and end up costing more in the long run.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 PM

Mike, Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Nice to see in this day and age!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident hummerguy, but its very heart-warming to know that there are still people around who are more into doing the right thing than the money thing.

I'm not sure what I would have done myself, but I'm thinking you might just want to be careful about thing coz if the guy claims he has abad back one year down the road (i.e. he has a financial difficulty)and blames the hit and decides to sue you etc, at least you know you'll have your insurance to cover if you had called it in. Honesty, I'm not sure what I would have done if I were in your shoes...

Well, at least the good thing out of this is now you know how tough your hummer is!

Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Sorry to hear about your truck.

In Montana, you would not have been at fault - the other guy would have gotten a ticket for being too close.
Here, the ticket always goes tothe person in back for being too close or following too close.

Glad you could work it out to your satisfaction, the insurance companies are a pain.