PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My big fat tires suck in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Exclamation My big fat tires suck in the snow

My rig has Nitto Terra Grappler A/T 355/65/R18 on and they seem to suck in the snow.

Some of this is sure due to the tires tread has worn down to about a 1/4 or less of tread - I feel like I am floating over the snow - much more that my wife's 03 4runner with a narrow tire and not much better of a tread pattern at all. I notice a big difference -

All of the tire companies here in Montana tells me I need more of a narrower tire for the snow and Ice, so I am considering to change to BFG close the the same size except for the width. The terra's rub a little and the tire guys also told me the rig's computer was not calibrated for the larger tires - so me speedo is off and I am probably putting more miles on the rig that the speedo shows

Two weeks ago I was going down a trail (a 1 direction type) and I pulled off to the side onto a snow bank to let a smaller truck go by and I got stuck on the snow back - all of the tires had no traction at all - they just sat there spinning. A astro van pulled me out - talk about embarrassing! -

the big problem here is that it snows, turns to ice and then snows over that - so if you kick up the snow - you are spinning on ice

XENO

Old 03-01-2009, 06:16 PM

I have the 325/60/r20 terra grapplers & I agree, they suck going through snow, I'm going to go back to stock wheel/tire combo for next year

Attached Thumbnails My big fat tires suck in the snow-h2-wheels-005.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Sorry to hear that. I drove my H3 today for the first time in the snow, and all I can say is WOW! Never drove anything with such confidence in 6" of snow. I know, I know, but here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, we haven't seen 6" of snow in nearly 10 years.
BTW, I've got the 285 Bridgestone Duelers....kick ***!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by XENO

A astro van pulled me out - talk about embarrassing! -

XENO
I'll pretend I didnt read that...now get some new tires

Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

You got bald tires? and low profile is not for snow either.

I have run 12.5" wide tires in the snow on my old truck, no problems at all. I was the last wheeled vehicle into and out of one of our National Forests in Northern MI some years back, I was just tring to do some hunting and every damn snowmobiler goin by kept following my tracks and stoppin and asking if my parked truck was stuck? So much for piece and quite.

Old school was you wanted skinny tires to dig to traction. We are smarter than that now.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 PM

I am here in eastern Idaho by Yellowstone Park. When I took my first H2 for a test drive, I came to a T in the intersection and pumped the brake and ended up half way up the snow bank.
Of course pumping the brake is the wrong thing to do. I do believe the stock tire are just a wee bit wide, but as in any four wheeling on snow and ice you need newer tires and practicing getting used to the performance of your tires in the snow and in slick conditons no matter what the tread condition.

If that don't work, jump in the weasel.

Attached Thumbnails My big fat tires suck in the snow-m29-weasel.jpg