PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My "attempted" H3 purchase experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Default My "attempted" H3 purchase experience

No wonder GM is doing so poorly....
After "trying" to "look" at Chevy SUV's, but had to leave after the first 5 mins because the saleman had to excuse himself so he could talk to his "home boy" that just pulled up in his pimp mobile...I figured I would look into a Hummer since I was in the area and a friend of mine just bought one.

I went on a Saturday...there was only one person working and he was on the phone. I hovered around for 30 mins then gave up when a "car porter" walked in to get coffee and asked if anyone was helping me and I said "i said no there is no one here"...
He left without saying anything, so I walked to the dealership next door, which is owned by the same dealership.
After looking at those cars...Iwalked back toto Hummer, and now there was no one except 1 or 2 customers looking around.

I gave up after 2 hours...I guess no one here in the "pick up truck" and drive the biggest baddest truck you can find city/sate in teh world wants a Hummer?

I returned during the week, and there was only a manager working, the same car porter, and I had to arrange via email and phone for the manager to get a salesman from the dealer next door (same dealership, but different brand) to help me.
Whenever I asked him a question, he responded with "I am not sure, I don't usually sell Hummers, I work next door at *****"
At least he was trying....

Frankly, if not for the $6000 - $7000 rebate, I would have just left and blacklisted the dealership, and looked at a different vehicle, but hey, I had nothing better to do and theres the rebate.
As i waited to test drive the H3, a guy who just bought it the previous week was getting ready to leave, so I asked him if he liked it etc.
His response was 100% positive except he said the best he could get gas mileage wise was 10mpg!!!

After putting up with wasting a Saturday and 2 hours at an empty dealership, and then another 2 hours with a salesman who didnt even sell Hummers, but was recruited by the MGR to help me as a last resort...I guess the MGR just wanted to sit there in his office instead of helping me and answering my questions "accurately"...I was not at all impressed.

What a shame a good vehicle like the Hummer is being sold at least here...by a bunch of idiots...of course my experience at Chrysler/Dodge was worse...they refused to let anyone drive any vehicle that was not a demo, these demos had no gas, and the dealers gas pumps were broken....I guess they have no money to drive around the corner to fill them up like BMW and Volvo does....
Thus, I couldnt test drive a demo, and they would not allow the only cars with gas in them to be driven - non demos, because they are so precious...yet like I said...you can test drive just about any other brand of car here, and they have gas or at least know how and where to get it.

Thus, I gave the Dodge dealership an F and the Hummer dealership a D.
Basically, I get better customer service buying a $50 shirt in JC Penny, then $35-$75K on a vehicle!

Soooo, after filling out a credit application at Hummer, I am still waiting 48hrs later for the terms...I negotiated a good price, etc.

Unfortunately, I passed by the Toyota dealership on the way home and looked at an FJ Cruiser...like it too.

So anyway, I like both vehicles, so we will see which dealership wins my business.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Default RE: My "attempted" H3 purchase experience

wow, what part of the country are you in? I've never had an experience even close to that

Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Houston Texas...

Three Dealerships are:
Spring Crysler Dodge = F
DeMontrond Hummer = D
Fred Haas Toyota = A

Also, mind if I ask a serious question?
Please don't take offense...
Are H3 Hummers problem vehicles?
Reason I ask, is that when I look at the General Discussion area for the forums of the H3 and the FJ Cruiser, seems most of the discussion in the H3 forum is about "issues", whereas the FJ Cruiser is not....at least not as much by a wide margin.
Also, Edmunds did a review and cited "quality issues" on the H3, so I am beginning to wonder.

I am leaning towards the H3, but as usual the dealership is the biggestnegative aspect...maybe they should just sell cars with no salesmen or managers online on amazon.com!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
CWS

Also, mind if I ask a serious question?
Please don't take offense...
Are H3 Hummers problem vehicles?
Only for Jeep owners.

Cliff

Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM

As a follow up, it seems the FJ has issues as well.
Sign of the times I guess, but as an educated buyer I am definately going to avoid used FJ's...some of the issues Toyota is ignoring are a shame.
Since both vehicles are off road, they probably get more abuse than the norm so issues are going to crop up, but seperating what is due to abuse and what is a true defect or quality issue is what matters.
Now if only the dealerships woudl get their act together.
I emailed my Hummer dealer to find out what they found in regards to financing for me...if I don't hear back from them by Saturday I'm gone.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM

I've had my H3 since September 05 with 50,000 miles and it's a fine vehicle. There are some rattles that don't seem to go away no matter what the dealer does. I've heard that the FJ also has some problems, so I'm not sure if there really is a difference there. The H3 will however be my last american-made vehiclebecause I can't stomach a company that begs for my tax money becuase of poor decisions they've made.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Hey, this might not be the thing to do here, but give me a call I am in Houston and I can help you out. Sorry if this breaks any of the rules.

832 731 2197

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well, you see, I am exactly the opposite. When I go to a dealership, I do not want any goofball with soup on his tie to bother me trying to sell ME a car/truck.

I want to look at what I want to see, unfettered. If any body comes over to bother me, they will not be my sales person.When I am ready or need to talk, I go find somebody. Tour the dealership so to speak. They give you any chit for walking round the service department or out back, you simply tell them to get their chit together and have a sales person up front ready to help when ask and I would not be taking a tour of a potential dealer for my new rig.

However, I get your point. .... and I would also add, if I ever even went to a Jap Crap dealer, their salespeople could offer blow jobs, and would still never get my business.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: James Coker

Hey, this might not be the thing to do here, but give me a call I am in Houston and I can help you out. Sorry if this breaks any of the rules.

832 731 2197
I like it....... just make sure not to have soup on your tie and do not bug the guy!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM

No, I sit in the back of the dealership, I can't see the lot from my desk, just service. Prefer bar-b-q sauce....LMAO

I know the dealerships he is talking about, I don't like to talk bad about any of my competitors, but it doesn't surprise me. Hell most of the time I'm back in the shop with customers.

Quick Reply: My "attempted" H3 purchase experience