PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

To much to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Default To much to pay?

I'm new and this is my first post so if I post this question in the wrong area please forgive me. I am looking into picking up a used H2 for many reasons, most of all I think they are COOL! Anyway the one that I am looking at is a 2005 with 48,000 miles. The dealers is asking $23,988 for it but I was thinking of offering $21,500 (maybe less) and was wondering if that was a "low ball" offer. It is a BLK on BLK Lux with brush guard, Running Boards, Nav, Sunroof and 3rd row seating. What do you guys think, is even offering $21,500 to much? Is 48,000 mile a lot for this truck? Again I am new to Hummer as a hole other than my wife leasing a H3 just about 2 months ago, thats what really got me looking for the H2. Another question is what are you guys getting for city MPG? Not that it is a big deal, I am coming out of a Ford F-150 that gets 14 in the city, I was just wondering. Thanks for any input.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Default RE: To much to pay?

I think that you should start off even lower like around 20,000 and work from their. The reason I say this is I just picked up 2 H2 Hummers one 05 and one 06 from a repo auction from a major bank company and can tell you they are going for around 17000 to 19000 at the auctions now some even lower. The 05 I have now for my wife is a lux package with chrome also, nav, dvd etc and that one after fees at the bank repo buy i got for 18500.00 with all fees. I know the dealers have to make money on them for sure but ir is a buyers market for once and if you are buying cash you may not get to low due to they look forward to making something off the finc charges etc.
Where are you located I ask due to I may have access to a slate blue 05 H2 with around 40k lux package etc I can try and see what the deal is on it but can not tell for sure what it will go for due to it was a off lease car and may have a higher buy out to the delaler.
I am new to the hummer world also and can tell you will get around 10 mpg maybe 11 on a good day and down hill a bit more.

Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 AM

I am in the Detroit area. I was basing the offer on what I see online from other dealers. I would LOVE to get it for $20-21,000 but I have that feeling that I will get the whole "we owe more" back on that offer. I will start there though and see what happens. Do you think that 48,000 miles is to many?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM

48k is not too much mileage. I would not hesitate to buy an H2 with that mileage. More inportant to me is the condition. I would rather pay a few thousand more for a really clean well taken care of vehicle. Buy an H2 and you will love it. I know I am still liking mine after owning it for three years.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM

I paid $26,888 four months ago for my 2005 H2 LUX with 11,270 miles on it. Gas was close to$4.00 then so thatworked to my advantage. With gas at $1.70I can see H2 prices creeping back up a bit. With 48,000 miles, I'd have a hard time paying more than $21,000, and probably wouldn't.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:35 PM

48k is nothing for a car that was taken care of for sure, but then again it is used and no matter what you buy could be an issue car. Maybe go in and offer them 21000.00 plus tell them you will buy the extended warranty for it, that will run you about 1800 or so thru a dealership it put your mind at ease. That may also allow you to get the car for a bit less since they make money off the warranty also.

I did call about the slate blue H2 I have access to and it is going for a bit more due to went from the bank to a dealership and this is what they have into it now. They would take no less than 23500.00 for it which is a bit higher than I thought but they bought it at the wrong time and reason now it looks like they will be stuck with it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 PM

OK so took the test drive today, in Detroit we got 10 inches of snow so it was a blast. Anyway the dealer will not move on the price at all, I offered $20,500 hoping for a counter and got nothing but "$23,988". Looks lie I am still without my dream truck!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:53 PM

Wow I am shocked they did not move on it at all, car sales are so down all over I have never heard of that in a while now. Let them sit on it for a day or two and call them back and try one more counter offer you feel safe spending, you may want to try a lower offer and tell them about the warranty you will by from them, maybe that will help a bit.
Are you buying cash or bank loan?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM

I said something about the warranty. I am open to cash or payments. Would like payments to simply keep cash open for other things.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 PM

I'd call the dealer back and give them your same offer of 20.5, make sure it goes past whoevers in charge there...and leave your contact info.

I had 5 different dealers call meback w/ in 10 days of offeres I made saying theyd take it... I wouldn't rush it.

Quick Reply: To much to pay?