PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

MPG issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Default RE: MPG issues

My thinking is that the 5 cyl is simply under powered and has to work harder, especially if you live in a hilly area or higher altitudes. Personally, I have no problem with my 3.5, but I live at the coast where it is flat. I average 12 to 13 in the city and 15 to 17 on the highway. My last 800 mile venture netted me 15.8 average. I typically drive conservatively, but I did get a speeding ticket a few weeks ago! 61 in a 45...and I had just punched the throttle. Bad thing about a Hummer is the front end rises when you accelerate, which is what the cop saw and why he pulled me. (How do I know? Because I saw him turn the corner and my radar detector about gave me a heart attack! ...so I asked him how he was so quick with that switch! He laughed and told me he saw the front end rise (darn those DRL's), and reduced the ticket to 53 in a 45...not too bad, I deserved it!)

Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 AM

oh god, that sux !!

that happened to me too

i was trying to keep up with my friend's SI

then i got caught by a cop doing 60 in 45 zone but i got away with a warning

and the cop stopped me just because my car was louder than my friends

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 AM

ORIGINAL: 3bo0odi

oh god, that sux !!

that happened to me too

i was trying to keep up with my friend's SI

then i got caught by a cop doing 60 in 45 zone but i got away with a warning

and the cop stopped me just because my car was louder than my friends
I got busted doing 87 in a 35 in my RX8, but believe it or not, the cop let me go...not even a warning! He said he wasn't able to lock it in. I was literally burning rubber...all to catch the UPS guy! He was mostly interested in the car because it had just come out and mine was the first one he had seen...and he was a gear head. He was looking under the hood and sitting in it...kind of funny. I was lucky I didn't go to jail!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 AM

you see now...

i used to drive a 07 Camry and i drove like crazy and i still drive the same way with the H3 as if its a camry
this is why i waste so much gas

if u drive ur H3 as if its RX8 then thats why ur wasting too much gas
if not then get an intake that would help to get MPG up lil bit and u'll get more HP

Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 AM

ORIGINAL: 3bo0odi

you see now...

i used to drive a 07 Camry and i drove like crazy and i still drive the same way with the H3 as if its a camry
this is why i waste so much gas

if u drive ur H3 as if its RX8 then thats why ur wasting too much gas
if not then get an intake that would help to get MPG up lil bit and u'll get more HP
No, I drive like grandpa most of the time...just because I'm rarely in a hurry. Gas schmas, it's only money! Right? [8D] I have the whole K&N CAI deal...

Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Just dropped off the H3 over at TEAM Hummer in Pasadena, CA. They're Going to inspect it to see what could be causing the low mpg... Also getting the oil changed, a six disc factory h3 unit I got on ebay installed, getting my beat up antenna replaced, and getting nitrogen in all five tires. Got a rental under warranty. I got my fingers crossed that they find something thats causing the low mpg.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 AM

Got my H3 back from the dealer... they could not find anything that would be causing my mpg to be so low. How can I tell if my fan clutch is bad? When is the fan supposed to shut off and how can I tell when it shuts off or if its on all the time? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 AM

bumpity...

Old 01-25-2009, 11:34 PM

It's important to know that your perceived reduction in fuel is skewed by the fact that you speedo is not calibrated to the larger tire. The tire is larger in diameter, so you are traveling farther for each rotation, so your odo will show less. The miles per tank seem less, but you are actually traveling faster than the speedo shows, so you're are actually keeping the miles down on your rig....

My last truck was a Mitsu Motero Sport. I instantly put tires on 2 sizes up, when I bought it at 33,000. By my calcs, I saved about 15,000 miles on the odo, when I sold it at 162,000.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 AM

well.. mpg still sucks... will putting hybrid emblems on my h3 actually fool the h3 into thinking its a hybrid and therefore doubling my mpg?

Quick Reply: MPG issues