PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

MPG issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Default RE: MPG issues

ORIGINAL: alphadogg

ORIGINAL: TheGunnyRet

Did you reprogram the TCM to the new size tires. I notice this with allot of people who get new tires and up the size never mention about reprograming your vehicle pcm's which will reduce mpg severely because everything is thrown off. JMO
Not trying to hyjack this thread but how does one "reprogram the TCM" to help compensatate for the larger tires? I changed my tire size to 33" tires when the truck was brand new so I have no idea of what my real MPG should be.
The Dealer "Should" be able to do that if you don't have an aftermarket programer you know i.e. PCMforless.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

tony I have gotten 9-10 mpg from day one....35's will effect your gas mileage by 3 mpg MAX...anyone that says it's more hasn't recalibrated the odometer and may think they are getting like 8 mpg less when really it's in the 2-3 range. Or they are going from tiny tires to a 35, not from 32's or even 33's like the adventure to a 35...one full size up will not effect it that much. I've been building lifted trucks my whole life and have dealt with this issue alot. You have an 06, does your vin fall in the range of the bad batch of heads? Mine does and that is what I feel the problem is, but the dealerships have no clue how to diagnose ANYTHING that doesn't come up on a dumb scan tool so.... I only got 11-12 mpg with the base 32's on the truck, so my mileage always sucked.
i will have to check my VIN. i just don't understand why it dropped sooooo much in the last 2 tanks. something has to be wrong. i have had 10+ tanks through it since i had the tires on. you would think the MPGwould do down on the 1st tank after tires.. not10 later.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM

one of the first symptoms of a bad head is rough idle and **** poor gas mileage. Also may get flashing messages across your DIC..I got all 3 but my dealers till said they couldn't replace teh head until it basically left me stranded.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Tony,
That is what happened to my I5 that I had for about 3-4 weeks....it got good mileage at first and then dropped down to 10-12mpg...and I also noticed that it would idle a little rough every once in a while.....nothing major or really noticeable..... The I5 was an 08' model.....go figure....
I would say it might have that head issue......I've been told that even the 08's have been found with the same problem.....I would be heading to your dealership...

Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM

I just got my fifth mpg average with my basically stock setup. The average has been about 15.2 mpg (barring the highest tank), and I drive the 405 in mostly stop and go traffic everyday. One tank did get 17, no idea what I did to deserve that though.

Hope you find the problem.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 PM

i had bad bad mileage one time for a long period of time.

6 months later i find it was the fan clutch. it was bad, and the fan was always engaged and was killing my mileage and power.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 AM

Giving life to this old thread.... I'm getting Horrible gas milage on my h3, granted.. I didnt buy my hummer because of its mpg performance. Regardless... I'm getting on average 10mpg!!!! In the above post someone mentioned a fan clutch... where is this located and how can I tell if its bad. I just cant figure out why my mpg is so low!!![&o]

Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Supertramp

Giving life to this old thread.... I'm getting Horrible gas milage on my h3, granted.. I didnt buy my hummer because of its mpg performance. Regardless... I'm getting on average 10mpg!!!! In the above post someone mentioned a fan clutch... where is this located and how can I tell if its bad. I just cant figure out why my mpg is so low!!![&o]
The fan clutch is attached to your fan behind the radiator. At certain rpms it should release the clutch/fan.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 AM

Thanks D Vader! I just dont get why my h3 is getting such horrible gas milage... I guess my only option is to take into the dealer... but even then.. are they gona laugh me away? I mean after all it is a hummer. Anyone else experiencing 10mpg or less in their h3?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 PM

it depends on your driving

if u r an aggressive driver then i really dont see the problem... just like me i get about 8-10 as well

try to drive more friendly i guess and see if it changes or not

Quick Reply: MPG issues