PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

MP3 Discs on Stock GPS CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Default MP3 Discs on Stock GPS CD Player

Hey guys I'm trying to get mp3 cd-r's to work in my new truck. I have the monsoon upgrade sound system with the GPS. I read the manual and it says a whole bunch of stuff about mp3 cd's and them working but I'm not sure if thats for the stock system only. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Default RE: MP3 Discs on Stock GPS CD Player

it could be the type of disk you are burning them on i found that some work and some do not for instance some are high speed and will not work in a vehicle stereo hope this helps

Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 AM

The base, single-slot CD player plays MP3 CD's. The Navigation Radio does NOT play MP3 CD's. And I don't think the 6-disc changer head unit does either.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM

pretty sure the MP3 disc player is an upgrade on the regular sound system - but if you're saying you have nav, I don't think it was an option. Very few are ordered w/ the mp3 capability.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:15 PM

I've been told that this is the ONLY unit that is MP3 capable:

Notice the MP3 logo on the face and the "file folder" icons on the number 5 and 6 buttons.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:03 PM

damn.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: JDJoe

The base, single-slot CD player plays MP3 CD's. The Navigation Radio does NOT play MP3 CD's. And I don't think the 6-disc changer head unit does either.
Correct, it does not. Gunner_45 is correct in his post based on the info I got from my dealer pursuing the same thing. I believe you can add additional inputs to your stock HU to accomodate an MP3 player though. I think LogJam carries them but I don't recall the model off hand. Do a search for LogJam and use ImportKiller as the author of the thread and I'm guessing you will get a hit. Impy is usually great for that stuff :-)

If you have yourself an iPUD I think there's an iPUD interface for the stock HU's. Look through this (audio) section, I believe the install process was actually documented with photos and such. Not sure what pre-requisites that particular add-on piece has as I wouldn't touch a iPUD with a 10 foot pole but from what I saw it looked like a pretty good piece.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Nick119
damn.
My thoughts exactly. I was pretty darned disappointed when I found out MP3's were a no-go.
Ipuds are great, but if I loose, damage or get stolen..... a home burned CD...No biggie.

I could find the MP3 capable units on EBay, but it would have cost .5 to 1.0 hrs labor for the
dealer to reprogram it to work in my vehicle. Damned security features--

(others here have already heard my lamentations / whineson this subject, so I'll stop there)

I'm waiting on Crotchfield to get off their butts and gear up for the 3. They have some nice,
non-nav, double din units that do everything under the sun for a reasonable price. They
just don;t have the harnesses, fitment guides or install docs ready yet.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM

I hear ya Gunner. I was looking at replacing mine but by the time I had added the modules for onstar/door chimes and the whole nine yards I simply didn't find it particularly cost effective. I ended up taking the cheaproute out and bought me an FM modulator for my MP3 player. It worked pretty well for being FM mod but since I ended up hardwiring my Sirius tuner using the antenna adapter approachI ended up with a line in that way. I of course have no control of the MP3 player using radio controls but as long as the volume stuff works, which it of course does, and I can use my playlists I really don't have much of a need for flippin' through the stuff using anything else than the mp3 player controlls themselves .. and I got away with less than $100 bucks vs well over 2 grand for the HU/harnesses I needed ...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM

I'm just gonna tuff it out for a while longer....XM seems to be playing
a bit more of the stuff I like (rock wise) and the classical selections are
getting a little better....Got to many other thing to buy before I worry about
tunes.....

Quick Reply: MP3 Discs on Stock GPS CD Player