PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Mike Rowe Winching Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Default Mike Rowe Winching Stuff

I was just flipping through the channels and I saw Dirty Job's w/ mike rowe doing some winching of army equipment. They were doing some calculations to determine needed pulling power and things like that for winching out stuck things like a hummer.
I was able to grab these off the tivo but they talked about stuff they did earlier and it sounded interesting.

Anybody know what these acronyms mean and how they are related?
LR, TR, TLR, FLR, WC, MF(Meyer Factor?)

Old 06-27-2007, 02:51 AM
Default RE: Mike Rowe Winching Stuff

Mire resistance
(a) Mire resistance is created when mud, snow, or sand becomes impacted around the wheels, axle, or cab of the vehicle.
(b) Mire resistance is estimated depending on how deep the vehicle is mired. A vehicle is mired when it is stuck in snow, mud, or sand and can no longer move under its own power.

There are three depths of mire resistance.
1. Wheel depth. A vehicle mired up to, but notover, the center of the hub. Estimate the wheel-depth resistanceas equal to the weight of the vehicle plus cargo.
2. Fender depth. A vehicle mired from the top ofthe hub and up to, but not over the fenders.Estimate the fender-depth resistance as twice the total weight of the vehicle
plus cargo.
3. Cab depth. A vehicle mired over the fenders or on the cab of the vehicle.Cab-depth resistance is estimated as three times the weight of the vehicle plus cargo.

When estimating the resistance for a mired vehicle that is loaded, estimate the resistance by adding the weight of the load to the weight of the vehicle times the mire depth factor.

To determine the amount of mechanical advantage necessary in a recovery operation, divide the load resistance (LR) and the vehicle weight plus cargo by the available effort (AE) (winch capacity), and round any fraction up to the next higher number.

LR = Load Resistance
TR = Tackle Resistance

(Military Definitions. HUMMER academy uses different Mire resistance locations.)

Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 PM

Thanks!! Very interesting! Now i'll be the nerd that gets stuck and the first thing he does is whip out a pen and paper
Do they go over that stuff at the hummer academy then?
I really want to go to that.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

That 100th episode edition with the Army kicked butt....