PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ - Tire Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Default RE: Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ - Tire Pressure?

What are you guys doing with aftermarket wheels that don't have TPMS? Is there a way to disable it so the warning doesn't come on or do you reset it once and forget about it?

I've got some new offroad tires and wheels coming and I didn't order TPMS with them, just regular valve stems. I know I'll probably get some message when I install the tires and the sensor doesn't find any signal from the new wheels.

If you can't disable it through the system is there a fuse you can pull to manually disable the sensor system?

Old 09-22-2007, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: HUMMER DRIVER

What are you guys doing with aftermarket wheels that don't have TPMS? Is there a way to disable it so the warning doesn't come on or do you reset it once and forget about it?

I've got some new offroad tires and wheels coming and I didn't order TPMS with them, just regular valve stems. I know I'll probably get some message when I install the tires and the sensor doesn't find any signal from the new wheels.

If you can't disable it through the system is there a fuse you can pull to manually disable the sensor system?
The msg comes on for a few seconds to a minute or two and then goes away... sometimes you can make an entire trip and the TPMS won't even realize your tires are gone, lol

If you want it turned off, you can take it to the dealer and they can disable it. I've heard it's pretty painless and easy to do so.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: kosaic

ok, great ....

so are we in agreement at the least, that 30-32 psi for city road driving is low for sure? (and would have a small effect on mileage?)
Sounds like you've got it figured out, but I'll chime in a few extra cents.
Yes, 30-32 is WAY too low for those tires on the street. (I thoughtthe recommended pressure even on stock tires is 36?)
I have M/T ATZs on Gear wheels, and I actually contacted M/T directly regarding properpsi level for the street. Their website has a chart that recommends approx 70% of the max pressure as a starting point. Then tweak as needed to your specific preference of ride "feel". TheM/T tech I spoke withconfirmed that info. So, at 65psi max, that would beabout 45.
There's an obviouspayoff though. The higher the psi, the more you feel the road. At 45, I was bouncing around a bit too much. I have them all at 40 now and it seems to bea good trade off.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: ockie

ORIGINAL: HUMMER DRIVER

The msg comes on for a few seconds to a minute or two and then goes away... sometimes you can make an entire trip and the TPMS won't even realize your tires are gone, lol

If you want it turned off, you can take it to the dealer and they can disable it. I've heard it's pretty painless and easy to do so.
dealers are not supposed to disable the feature and I don't think they can...it's a federal law that these sensors need to be installed...now yo can remove them but the dealerships cannot.

The tps system is a joke...I haven't had the sensors for over a year and I think I have recieved the serv. tpm message like 4 times. When you do get it you will get a message only in the DIC, no beebs or annoying chimes. Just push in on the trip odometer stalk and it will clear and not return until your next ignition cycle...if it comes back at all. Like I aid they don't work that great.