PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

maybe buying h1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

You will be able to tell I bet. If you can hook up with an H1 owner in your area. Let him go over the truck with you. I think you will find most very willing to help out.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM

i might be purchasing an 03 h2 tomorrow... are there really that many problems with them? i want to be sure that this is something i want to get into.... i love hummer and i know the h1 is a tank, but will the h2 hold up? not going to be offroading, just using it for recreations, snow, some beach maybe

Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

I had a 2003 H2 for 4 years and 50K miles. Had to replace a waterpump. That is it. Not even brakes yet at 50k. Some 2003 H2s had the air suspension. Mine did and I loved it but high mileage/older trucks may have an issue with this. It is about $1200.00 to replace. The 2003's also had some power mirror issues. many were upgraded with later model side mirrors. I never had either of these issues. Except for that I didn't hear about many H2 issues for 2003.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
I had a 2003 H2 for 4 years and 50K miles. Had to replace a waterpump. That is it. Not even brakes yet at 50k. Some 2003 H2s had the air suspension. Mine did and I loved it but high mileage/older trucks may have an issue with this. It is about $1200.00 to replace. The 2003's also had some power mirror issues. many were upgraded with later model side mirrors. I never had either of these issues. Except for that I didn't hear about many H2 issues for 2003.
3hummers - what is the driving experiance differences in a H1 vs H2? I am looking at H1's to test drive before I decide to sell my H2 for a H1. Specific questions I have are:

- How does it manuver in traffic?
- What is the turn radius vs H2's?
- How much more harsh is the ride?
- Is it very loud inside?
- Does it have decent AC and a heater?

I know these are all subjective questions I have and I also know this is a military based vehical and not a sedan. Having owned heavily modified Jeep Wranglers and now an H2, I am just want to make sure this is a managable vehical to use for on highway use.

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mx-4-2
3hummers - what is the driving experiance differences in a H1 vs H2? I am looking at H1's to test drive before I decide to sell my H2 for a H1. Specific questions I have are:

- How does it manuver in traffic?
- What is the turn radius vs H2's?
- How much more harsh is the ride?
- Is it very loud inside?
- Does it have decent AC and a heater?

I know these are all subjective questions I have and I also know this is a military based vehical and not a sedan. Having owned heavily modified Jeep Wranglers and now an H2, I am just want to make sure this is a managable vehical to use for on highway use.

Thanks for any input.
having an h2 you should be accustomed to poor fuel milage.

i think mine manuvers decent in traffic, but they are very wide, and not the easiest to park. it doenst help if people ride the line in the parking spots

not sure of the turning radius. there are some write ups in the hummer knowledge base i think

mine rides better than my 06 dodge 2500 4x4

i have the hmco (soft top 4 door) and its not terrible loud. some wind noise but tolerable

the a/c and heater are dependent on the year. IIRC 97 and newer have the updated hvac system

i would think the main differance between the two are the amount of maintance required for an h1. repair bills can become very high if you do not do some of the work yourself

brett

Old 02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

The H2 is the most civilized, capable 4x4 I have ever driven. It is quiet, rides and drives well, is very well optioned and is very capable.
The H2 rides better and is more comfortable than the H1. For the most part the H2 HVAC system is better also.
97.5 and up trucks have an upgraded HVAC system that works pretty well. H1s ride pretty well, especially for what they are, depending on the tires you have on it. Some tires ( Goodyear MTs ) are loud and rough riding. Others like the KM2 or GSA ride and drive well. The H2 has a phenomenal turning radius. The H1s is good.
You get used to the size of the H1 pretty quickly. I drive one everyday and don't even think about it. When I get in my wife's F250 diesel crew cab 4x4 truck is when I start thinking about size and turning radius.
I have two wagons and an open top. The wagons are quieter. 98 and up models had an improved insulated top and better mounting system and are much quieter than earlier models.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 AM

Thanks guys for the quick response and input!

John

Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Some great info in this thread that I'll just store away in the back of my brain. But subscribing in case more interesting stuff is mentioned.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM

I am also interested in buying an H1 however is there going to be a problem with getting parts when Hummer goes out of business? Also some tips for buying one on http://www.autotrader.com/ would appreciated or any other place.

For example how ? what to stay away from ,, what to looking for …..

Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

most part, will not be an issue. Some older interior pieces might become more difficuly but the military runs over 100,000 Hummers. Mechanical parts will be available. Some CTIS parts might eventually get hard to come by. AM General just sent out a letter committing to providing service and parts for H1 owners. Craig's list, Ebay, DC Motors, Autotrader, etc all are good venues. Be careful buying a truck you can't go see yourself. get the VIN and have a dealer run the service history. Run a Carfax, even though they frequently have errors on them. If you can get an H1 owner to go with you. 97.5 and later have better HVAC, 97-2000 had some engine issues, which have mainly been worked through now. Get a truck that has been maintained regularly.

Quick Reply: maybe buying h1