PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

marker lights and water leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Default marker lights and water leaks

hello everyone!

i received my roof marker lights couple days ago and fitted them slightly different to the instructions.
i put the front edge of the marker lights about 1/2" under the rubber seal that covers the windshield!
at the time it looked much neater and thinking that fitting it this way would lessen the chance of any wind noise,went ahead.
it looks very tidy with no gaps were the rearward rubber seal of the marker lights sits on the roof.
what is worrying me now(which i didnt think of before)is water leaking inside the cabin!
it seems as though water could get under the lights from the small gutters on either side(rear of marker lights)and run under the windshield rubber seal!
i am not worried about water getting in from the riv nuts since i used silicone sealant,and waterproof grease on the bolt threads.
could someone please advice?
shall i leave as is or should i take it off and fit otherwise?
thanks in advance for any info!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Default RE: marker lights and water leaks

I would try to install the way they were intended to be. They were probably designed to prevent what is happening to you from happening.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM

I agree with Bennersj.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 PM

My roof marker lights were installed at the dealership at the time of purchase. I've had no problems with water or wind noise. Just put them on as the instructions say and you should be fine. My understanding is that the wind noise issue was with early versions of the marker lights and has been fixed. My wife doesn't have the lights but I do and there is no difference that I can notice in wind noise between the 2.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 PM

since removing and refitting is not an option for now(i dont have spare rivnuts!)i will wash the truck today and check for leaks.
i dont know if i will have a problem with water leaks yet(only fitted them yesterday)
what i wanted to know is,if water does run under that rubber seal ontop of the windshield,would it run inside or is the windshield stuck with silicone?
it does seem as though even without the marker lights,water could still get under there from either side??
if i do have problems,do you know if i can get the rivnuts separately?
thanks for your replys,info from you is very helpfull since we dont have an established dealer here and i do all maintenance myself.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 AM

That rubber gasket is around the windshield for two reasons,

#1 to hold in the windshield
#2 to seal out any water

I think as soon as you put anything under that gasket you compromise that seal and are at risk of a leak. Why didn't you install them as per instructions to begin with? Washing it is not the same as driving in arain storm at 65mph and once it leaks you'll have a mess on your hands but then that's juts my opinion.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:19 AM

alphadogg i agree with you! just didnt think right,i sometimes do silly things like this thinking i can improove on certain things.
do you know if i can order a set of riv nuts sepparetly?
its a bummer cos i was waiting for a month for my stuff to arrive from the states (live in cyprus/greek islands)and cost a bundle too!
pls advice if possible about rivnuts,i will get them ups and refit the marker lights.
thanks for your reply.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:05 PM

nicos,

We've all made mistakes at one time or another so don't feel bad.

Cyprus/Greek Islands huh? What's the temperature there? It’s about 20 degrees where I am right now. I’d be more then happy to pick up the rivnuts at the dealer for you and hand deliver them if you pay for my airfare. [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-23-2008, 01:22 PM

I had my marker lights installed at purchase as well..no noise, no leaks...mine however have shorts in the ground wires. Sometimes two or three go out at a time. Have had it fixed, only to have it happen again. With an adventure package suspension I'm wondering if there's anything really I can do? Any suggestions?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:28 PM

i can offer you accommodation food and drink!
you can deal with the fairs!
hows that?
its 20deg here too but C not F !

Quick Reply: marker lights and water leaks