PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Magnaflow question (installation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Default Magnaflow question (installation)

So I found this Magnaflow system on Ebay for what looks like pretty cheap (under 500)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...spagenameZWD1V

Once again I come to you all with your infinite Hummer knowledge and wonder... Would me and my dad be able to install this thing in my garage having very little knowledge of cars and exhaust systems?

If so how long would this take.

Thanks Guys

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Magnaflow question (installation)

Yes you would. The hardest part is getting the old stock system off, if you want to save it as one piece, jack the rear of the 3 up a bit to give you more over the rear axel clearance, unbolt it and slide the rubber mounts off the hangers, then pull it all out the rear watching not to crunch or snage a brake line. The new system gos in easy.

Tip: before you start removal, get some spray silicone lubricant, spray each of the rubber mounts at the exhaust hangers, use a big screw driver, cotter key pullerworks better, and pull/push the rubber mounts off the hangers. Spray them again so the new hangers will slide right thru the rubber mounts easy.

I did mine in less than 45 min.s, but I cut the stock trash in front of the rear axel to get it out easier in two pieces. Two of you should be able to do it in an hour or so no problem.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 PM

I did mine myself, I removed the stock exhaust in one piece just in case I wanted to put it back stock later on.

You do indeed need to jack the rear to get the one piece unit off. I jacked the right rear with my Hummer jack. I had to twist as I pulled the stock exhaust out, it goes between the rear axle and the bottom of the chassis. There is a brake line running on top of the axle. I put a few rags on top of it after I twisted it slightly so it was about 2'oclock instead of straight up and I put the muffler on a creeper so it would roll out as I pushed it. Seems like I put a cardboard box on the creeper then dropped the weight of the muffler on it as I slid it rearward. If you have some help the helper could hold it while you back it out.

After you get the stock unit out, it's really easy to install the new Magnaflow. I left all the clamps loose until I got it positioned like I wanted then started tightening up the clamps going from the front to the back. After you crank it I KNOW you'll get out and listen to it idling, don't be surprised if you smell something burning. It the protective coatings on the interior of the exhaust and it goes away pretty quickly and the pipe will mellow a little more over time, mine seems to be a little deeper toned now than when it was brand new.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 AM

Awesome... Time to start savin for the Magnaflow

Thanks Doc and HD