PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Magnaflow installed / new horn / dynamat ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Default Magnaflow installed / new horn / dynamat ?

Had the shop next to my office supposively weld the magnaflow dual on my 3.5l
the other day instead of do the bolt on or clamp on, or so I thought. Got under
it and they clamped it, even after how I explained to the shop manager that I
would do the install myself, but want it welded instead. Exhaust system is very
clean andhas a great fit.
However, it doesdrone at highway speeds. Doc Olds, you said that after a few
miles your system changed tones, how drastic / what kind of change?
I also installed the WOLO compact dual air horn last night....I can't stop blowing
the fuse, it did work for a second, quickly sounded it last night, sounded more like
an airhorn they blow at halftime at a highschool lacrosse game rather than a big rig sound, truth is
haven't really heard the horn that well....I installed it late at night and
didn't want to wake my neighbors/same deal when I left for work this morning....and figures
that no jerk would cut me off in order for me to test it out.

Going to put a stronger fuse in, will get back on sound, install was extremely easy.

Question about the exhaust drone. Has anyone tried any muffler wrap or dynamat lining
on the undercarriage or inside of their hummers? I've researched either dynamatting the
underside with heat resistant pads, wrapping the muffler, which I have only really seen done
under the muffler, for obvious reasons, or dyanamatting the floor beneath the middle row.

Any feedback, sry for the terrible long post, real topic should be the dynamat.

Going to check the wires

Old 09-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Magnaflow installed / new horn / dynamat ?

Any/all exhaust systems have a break in period, to burn off machine oil and settle in the "baffles" with exhaust heat. Not some miles, probably more like 1500-2000.

Dynamat is great stuff, I did the inside of the back door and it made a big difference out back. The door sounds more sturdy when it closes, but I was not trying to get rid of exhaust sound? I think that would be done by dynamat on the floor front to back....big job. Check this thread. RE: So I had a little time to kill...

Old 09-24-2008, 06:41 PM

Not to plug Doc, but my drone quieted down a lot when I installed and Air Doc intake. I have the Magnaflow too and once the air in flowed better, the ride got a lot quieter.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM

put a bigger fuse in,same thing happened to me would work for like 2 sec and stop and put in a bigger fuse and no problem since.had the new horn for 8 months now, i needed a horn that people can hear and would scare the crap out of people

Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

You might have something there motley???

Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 AM

Yup, figured a new fuse would do the trick...Placed one of the 30s from the spare
row in last night and the compressor/horn runs like a champ. Horn is loud, but sounds
like it should be on a ferrari, not exactly the big rig sound, but loud and gets the
point across better than the VW Bug horn that was there in the first place.

Doc, thanks for the quick response, and yes, a CAI is in the near future, more air out
(exhaust) wants more air in (intake.) Anyone have any experience wrapping the muffler
and/or headers?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

IMHO I would not wrap either on my H3. I have wrapped many a bike pipe, and I know first hand the tape is durable, but it will hold dirt and crud if you ride in the rain. Then it starts to deteriorate and gat ratty looking. On a bike, that stays on the street, can avoid rainy days, it is pretty easy to avoid those problems. On a truck, daily driver, up here in MI the winter roads would toast that stuff in no time, then you would be left with a ball of yarn kinda thing with loos ends hanging off? Not to mention dirt and mud that tucks encounter. Just my thoughts.

The fiberglass type type that sort of melts would fare better, but it is not bullet proof and cosmetically does not look so great?