PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Lost keys to chrome gas tank cover...help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Default Lost keys to chrome gas tank cover...help

My fault...I live on a boat and had both keys to the gas tank cover on my car keychain. My 8-yr old son dropped my car keys in the water this weekend and they're lost. [sm=headbang.gif]

Luckily had just filled up the gas tank but will have a problem in a few days. I bought the cover from G-Style and plan to send them an email but was wondering if anyone had experience w/ this. Are those keys all the same? I may just need to pay a locksmith to re-key it.
Anyone? Thanks!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Default RE: Lost keys to chrome gas tank cover...help

If you were docked at the time, it might be pretty easy to find someone with dive gear and a big magnet... The key fob remote prolly won't work anymore though..

Don't know anything about the key cross fitting...

Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 AM

I was in my slip. We tried the magnet and dredging the bottom w/a net yesterday. Unfortunately, there was a big storm right after the key drop and I think the bottom shifted and the keys are alost cause.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 AM

I'd say try to go with the replacement keys .. if that doesn't work out for you I see two other options ... locksmith being the least damaging option, but the wallet may not agree ... option number 2 is your the ol' trusted universal key option .. flat head and a hammer ... prolly not what you want to hear but it does work :-)

Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 PM

Key Bump it....it's the latest craze.

Seriouly..Call the G-style and tell them you need replacement keys made..they should have a record of the S/N of your lock set.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:52 PM

Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Key Bump it....it's the latest craze.

Seriouly..Call the G-style and tell them you need replacement keys made..they should have a record of the S/N of your lock set.

A locksmith should be able to get it open and re-key it for ya...

Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 AM

I think this is resolved...I will be out of gas tomorrow so I hope it is. Took a few days to get in touch with G-Style and they referred me to the manufacturer (RealWheels) in Georgia. Very nice lady spoke to me yesterday and they are overnighting me replacement keys (at my expense of course).

FYI - I started calling locksmiths yesterday afternoon and did not find one that could re-key a gas tank cover lock. Everyone was willing to break the lock for mebut I could do that for free.

Lesson learned....don't keep both keys on the same keychain.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Darn Trish...sorry about your luck! I too, have been looking at these fuel doors and coveting one, but just not so sure that I want the hassle of keys and locks, etc. I know there are pros and cons on that. Hope you get your keys quickly!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Unless you live in an area that has a lot of gas suckers running around..I think the standard chrome or non chrome cover works just fine and I like the hassle free opening of it...Besides I haven't heard of too many people lately that got gas sucked or tampered with..I suppose it's possible in high crime districts.

Quick Reply: Lost keys to chrome gas tank cover...help