PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Looking for a Locking Differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Default Looking for a Locking Differential

Hi All,

How can I tell if an H3 has the locking front and rear differentials from
the suspension package? Is there a unique badge or button to look for?

I'm new to the forums, and am in the market for a used H3. I want to
get one that has the offroad suspension package specifically so that
I get an H3 with locking diffs.

The truck will be used for camping trip and regular light off roading, but
my eventual goal is to take my truck to Moab and the Rubicon Trail.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Looking for a Locking Differential

Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned
Default adventure package

2010 h3 adv. it will be clear when you read the specs, front and rear locking diffs. i just passed up one i was going to buy in niles mich

check tyler there and read about it,, a beaut!!. 38250 tax inc.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Adventure packages have push button locking front and rear diffs. There will be buttons that tell you which locker you are pushing. Check my PM to you btw.

And if you are only planning on doing "light" mudding, save the cash. My locker-less bone-stock h3 with bone stock 40k miles bald tires does better in the mud than my buddy with 35" mud tires and a 3" lift on his '04 F150. I have videos to prove it.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 PM

you should post the videos to youtube, so we can see

Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 PM

What buttons should I be looking for? I know there are the three 4WD Normal, 4WD Hi, and 4WD Lo on the dash above the stereo. Where are the locking diff buttons?

And as far as the light off roading, occasionally we go more difficult routes so it would be a nice to have. Eventually I want to do the Rubicon, and I've read that it would be an essential to have.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 PM

If you are looking for an H3/H3T with the Adventure package (I5s) you already know about the lockers and 4:01 to 1 transfer case. If you are going to attempt the Rubicon it sounds like you already know what you want. 09 & 10s have both front and rear lockers and a cast iron front diff. 06, 07 & 08 have rear lockers and an Alum. front diff.

When it comes to the Alphas (V8s) 08 (rear locker only), 09 & 10 front and rear lockers but it is called the OffRoad package and ALL alphas regardless of the year and package have the cast iron front diff.

The locker buttons are to the right of the 4 HI, 4 Hi lock, and 4 Lo buttons. they will have 4 wheels on the button and an X to show which locker you are selecting.

I have owned and wheeled the Alpha, Alpha OffRoad and the 09 Adventure.
In my opinion the Adventure/OffRoad pacakage is worth it's weight in gold if you plan on going offroad. 70% of the time the 4:01 to 1 transfer case is enough to get you thru most stuff. But it's the other 30% where the locker/lockers shine! Nothing like attempting a hill climb w/o the lockers engaged, gunning it and failing to reach the top. Then pushing the button/buttons and crawling up the same hill at a slower more controlled speed.

PM me if you want some more info on the different years and packages.

Last edited by TAINTER; 06-16-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
you should post the videos to youtube, so we can see
Here is one corny video.. look at my profile to see all 7 or 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AmRuYO1QgA

Notice how no matter WHAT i was doing, all 4 tires were spinning. No, it's NOT the same as a locker; but to say that a stock-tired with 50% tread left H3 can keep up with a 3" lifted, 35" tire'd F150 is pretty damn commendable I think.

Originally Posted by rallyrcr
And as far as the light off roading, occasionally we go more difficult routes so it would be a nice to have. Eventually I want to do the Rubicon, and I've read that it would be an essential to have.
I've been thru some difficult sh*t with my bone stock H3. Not telling you to NOT get lockers.. but if you cant find one, just get a regular H3 and put some good tires on it :tu:

Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 PM

rallyrcr, remember that 85_305 is the same guy only one month ago asked "Are they actually sturdy enough to do what the were designed to do; recover and be recovered? I just wanna make sure that if they are used like they are supposed to my bumpers aren't gonna be ripped off or the frame twisted"

So, in less than 1 month he has gained more knowledge than poeple who have owned H3s since the early builds of 2005 and have wheeled MOAB, Rubicon Trail, and about 30 other ORV areas and parks????????? He has even argued with a former HUMMER test engineer.

That has to tell you something about how to take his "help".

Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TAINTER
rallyrcr, remember that 85_305 is the same guy only one month ago asked "Are they actually sturdy enough to do what the were designed to do; recover and be recovered? I just wanna make sure that if they are used like they are supposed to my bumpers aren't gonna be ripped off or the frame twisted"

So, in less than 1 month he has gained more knowledge than poeple who have owned H3s since the early builds of 2005 and have wheeled MOAB, Rubicon Trail, and about 30 other ORV areas and parks????????? He has even argued with a former HUMMER test engineer.

That has to tell you something about how to take his "help".
Yep your absolutely right. I must know NOTHING about offroading because I asked if the stock tow shackles are tough enough to actually show and TELL or if they are for show only.
I never claimed to have more knowledge than anybody; quotes, please?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Sorry rallyrcr, I didn't mean to "pinch" your post on a rant about 85_305.

As to your second post, YES locker/lockers are an "essential to have" if your are going to attempt the Rubicon. Parts of the Rubicon have been done w/o lockers (they had a winch) but I wouldn't be caught wheeling the entire length without at least a rear locker.

How come I can't send you a PM??

Hope this helps!

Last edited by TAINTER; 06-16-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Locking Differential