PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

looking to buy an H3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Default looking to buy an H3

Greetings - I am looking into a H3. Loved the look from the first and just gained more and more interest as time goes by. I presently have a Land Rover Disco II, also looked at the Toyota FJ ( had a 1995 land cruiser and loved it). Got a question. I've looked at a few H3's and located one that only has 19,000 miles on it. Is a 2007. When I drive it it seems to have a slight vibration at around 70-80. Is this normal? Also, I have read a lot of chat here and there that seems to indicate the H3 is not well thought of in some off road and perhaps even by some other hummer owners. Do you gents find this to be the case?

Any info on tghis vehicle that can assist me in making up my mind would be appreciared.

Thanks..

Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Default RE: looking to buy an H3

I have a 2007. No the vib is not normal. Check wheel balance and alignment as part of the purchase.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 AM

We took delivery of our used2007 yellow H3 two days before Christmas, it currently has 43,000 miles on it. Before purchasing it I did a GM warranty history check and very little had been done to it, to me that indicates it had very few issues and it was serviced at the dealership as we were provided with the maintenance history. I have been a licensed automotive/heavy truck technician for 25 years and I purchased this for my wife. This is what I can tell about our experience so far, it handles excellent and turns much sharper then I expected. It is roomy and VERY quiet for a SUV. My wife tells me she has no problems parking it, backing up and doing lane changes as she tells me the visibility is really good especially excellent rear view mirrors. Driving in deep snow or ice (we are in Canada) I find the 4wd very good with the stock tires. The engine is smooth and I find the power adequate for this type of vehicle, I'm sure there would be a few owners that would disagree about the HP. The fit and finish of the interior is good even after 43,000 miles with no squeaks or rattles. The rear seating has good leg room compared to other SUVs we looked at and the cargo space is great and thegas shock assisted rear door which opens 90 degrees is great for loading stuff into the back. Our H3 is still stock and a basic unit and I doubt it will see very little off-roading so I cannot tell you a whole lot about it's off-road capabilities.
The things that I find I dislike about the H3 are minor, the TPM option is a pain in the butt, I wish it could be disabled. The power window switches are kinda far back on the armrest, the stereo is a little disappointing.
We shopped around for SUVs andwould have never looked at a H3, the dealer asked us to try it and see what we think and we were sold as it fit most of the things we were looking for in a SUV. I hope it will be a reliable unit into the future for my wife.
I know this is not a super technical review of a H3 but it is a honest, unbiasedopinion of our experiences so far. I have owned 50+ vehicles and I am a car junkie of epic proportions and anything with an internal combustion engine is my crack cocaine. I have had a few SUVs and find this one the most capableand practical so far and somehow "practical"and "Hummer" don't seem to belong in the same sentence!

Derek

Old 01-03-2009, 10:04 AM

hello! well i have an H3 and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT. my husband and i take it off road all the time and it handles great.

i dunno about the vibration...better get it checked out

Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Thanks to all that made comment thus far. I'm really on the fence here. I drove both the FJ and the Hummer a few times. Drove a Hummer that had 20K, 25K and 48K. All of them felt fine ( same slight vibration - I am thinking this is just being a truck). Also drove a few FJs. When I drive each I think " yea, this is the one".... then only to drive the other and see good about that one too. I really have faith in the Toyota, had a few and each have been a fine car. But, for some reason the Hummer "speaks" to me and I tend to lean that way. I'm not going to rush in.... I'll just contiune to study each and sooner or later I will make a decision. Of note, I can land the used H3 for about 1/2 of what a new FJ cost. Also, Ive got a roof top tent and do a lot of camping / Kayak trips and therefore have a ton of things to go alone with what ever the heck I wind up with.
As far as the snob issues between an H3 and a H2. I also looked at an H2 and simply do not need a tank. So at least that is out. I really like each of the H3, seems to fit my needs without being s large road hog larger than I need in my life ( and garage).

Again, thanks for sharing your views...
Dan